iTunes 10 and .ogg?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrelwood, Sep 2, 2010.

1. mrelwood macrumors regular

I'm hesitant to upgrade to iTunes 10 before confirmation. Can I play .ogg-files in iTunes 10 with a plugin such as the Xiph QT-plugin? Xiph works fine with iTunes 9.2.1. and I'm not ready to lose my oggs.

http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/

2. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

Based on how quickly it updated my library from one version to another (typically after an upgrade it will take a minute or so on my very large library, this time it took less than 10 seconds), I don't think they made any real changes to the backend of iTunes this round, it's all just GUI changes. So I bet Xiph plugin still works fine.

3. mrelwood thread starter macrumors regular

Great! How about playlists? Do they transfer to the new iTunes 10 automatically?

And since I have not let iTunes organize my music, do I get the same content in iTunes 10?

In general, does iTunes 10 overwrite the iTunes 9, or can I still use both?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

With most updates, it replaces the older version but will not affect your playlists, library, music files, preferences, etc.

5. mrelwood thread starter macrumors regular

Upgraded. Playlists, preferences, and even unchecked songs are as they were in iTunes 9.

However, when a playlist reaches an .ogg file, a fullscreen Quicktime window is opened and steals focus even when iTunes 10 is on the background. That is some nasty behaviour. Seems this is not possible for Xiph to handle, so I will be searching for a more elegant solution.

6. 66318 macrumors regular

Keep us posted if you find something. I have just a handful of OGG files in my iTunes collection at work, and it was quite annoying to have a black quicktime window pop up randomly.

7. pulpeet macrumors newbie

This is very annoying indeed.

I noticed that for all my ogg files the "Summary" tab in the info window mentions "Video dimensions: 0x0", while for mp3 files this field is absent. Probably that's why iTunes opens a video window.

Next question is how to get rid of that tag.

8. danieljh macrumors newbie

itunes 10 does seem to be treating ogg as video files.

You can stop the window from opening by setting movies and TV Shows to play in the artwork viewer. (Preference->Playback) This opens in the lower left corner of the screen. Not ideal, but at least usable.

9. pulpeet macrumors newbie

10. umbilical macrumors 6502a

for that reason I prefer convert all to ALAC with powerful XLD app :rolleyes:

11. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

XLD is powerful medicine! I can't live without it.