iTunes 10 CD Distortion on playback

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aglinder, Jan 25, 2011.

1. aglinder macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2010
    Just downloaded iTunes 10.1.1(4), and something's gone horribly, horribly wrong: playback of an ordinary audio CD (I have tried several different discs, all the same result) gives very distorted sound. :(

I tried unchecking various 'sound control' aspects of iTunes, like the EQ and Normaliser, nothing. Still terrible distortion. I also tried playing the CD's through VLC - same result. So somewhere, something that was installed with the update has screwed things up.:mad:

MP3's I had already play fine, other audio plays fine, just CD's (as yet).

I'm running Leopard 10.5.8, iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM. Using an external Samsung DVD-RW ('Super'drive packed up).

2. aglinder thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2010
    OK, have made some discoveries: not ALL CD's are distorting, it just happened that the fist 3-4 I tried were all Warner Bros. published discs and it seems to only be those CD's that are affected.
    Browsing the internet I find that this is a common problem and it seems to relate to the external combo-drive I have, Samsung TSSTcorp CDDVDW SE-S084C.
    Can anyone suggest what I can do, besides replacing the drive? And does anyone know why it's only WB discs that are affected?
    The drive works perfectly in all other respects.