iTunes 10 crashes on opening

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrchinchilla, Sep 1, 2010.

1. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

It won't open, at all, I've deleted every plist associated with iTunes, the cache, everything. It will only open if I do it manually through Terminal, and that isn't perfect in my opinion. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Edit: I have also downloaded it twice and installed it twice, same thing happens.

Edit 2: They've pulled iTunes 10 from the download page. lol
    And it's back. I wonder if they've fixed it. - Nope.

2. stickmedia macrumors newbie

Me too

Did a manual download and upgrade to 10 on a aluminum Macbook running latest Snow Leopard. Crashes on launch every time. Rebooted and no difference...

3. mrchinchilla thread starter macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Open the file named "iTunes" in Contents > MacOS inside iTunes.app with Terminal, does it open then?

4. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

No issue here...

I downloaded it using the direct link in Engadget & it works fine on my iMac & MacBook Air.

5. stickmedia macrumors newbie

Update

Okay. Ran it from terminal and it still will not work. Here is the header from the report:

Process: iTunes [402]
    Path: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes
    Identifier: iTunes
    Version: ??? (???)
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: bash [392]

Date/Time: 2010-09-01 23:20:30.140 -0400
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569)
    Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 441293 sec
    Crashes Since Last Report: 35
    Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 2
    Anonymous UUID: 2F70DF9C-193E-43BA-8A61-F2AC31132BCC

Tried again and got the BB of Death and then a total Finder crash (desktop disappeared and failed to come back.) Did a hard restart...

6. stickmedia macrumors newbie

Forgot...

I also ran Onyx, cleared caches, fixed perms, etc... Also dumped all plist files for iTunes... Not cool.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

8. mrchinchilla thread starter macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

I've reinstalled it four times from different direct links, and from the download page itself.

9. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

:confused: That's so weird mine opened up fine and I was putting 4.1 on my phone in a matter of seconds after install. strange.

10. stickmedia macrumors newbie

Re-download and reinstall did it.

Should have tried it first lol.

11. Leddy macrumors regular

Same problem here - crashes on launch ... very frustrating.

Interesting ... was able to launch from terminal with the following messages:

iTunes(422,0xa0012500) malloc: *** error for object 0x14384980: pointer being freed was not allocated
    *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
    iTunes(422,0xa0012500) malloc: *** error for object 0x14385080: pointer being freed was not allocated
    iTunes(422,0xa0012500) malloc: *** error for object 0x14384c00: pointer being freed was not allocated
    iTunes(422,0xa0012500) malloc: *** error for object 0x14384eb0: pointer being freed was not allocated
    objc[422]: Class RPOpenGLView is implemented in both /Library/QuickTime/iChatTheaterPreview.component/Contents/MacOS/iChatTheaterPreview and /System/Library/QuickTime/iChatTheaterPreview.component/Contents/MacOS/iChatTheaterPreview. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    objc[422]: Class RPTimecodeOverlay is implemented in both /Library/QuickTime/iChatTheaterPreview.component/Contents/MacOS/iChatTheaterPreview and /System/Library/QuickTime/iChatTheaterPreview.component/Contents/MacOS/iChatTheaterPreview. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    objc[422]: Class RPRemote is implemented in both /Library/QuickTime/iChatTheaterPreview.component/Contents/MacOS/iChatTheaterPreview and /System/Library/QuickTime/iChatTheaterPreview.component/Contents/MacOS/iChatTheaterPreview. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    objc[422]: Class RPRemoteBridge is implemented in both /Library/QuickTime/iChatTheaterPreview.component/Contents/MacOS/iChatTheaterPreview and /System/Library/QuickTime/iChatTheaterPreview.component/Contents/MacOS/iChatTheaterPreview. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    objc[422]: Class RPTexture is implemented in both /Library/QuickTime/iChatTheaterPreview.component/Contents/MacOS/iChatTheaterPreview and /System/Library/QuickTime/iChatTheaterPreview.component/Contents/MacOS/iChatTheaterPreview. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    objc[422]: Class RPPauseOverlay is implemented in both /Library/QuickTime/iChatTheaterPreview.component/Contents/MacOS/iChatTheaterPreview and /System/Library/QuickTime/iChatTheaterPreview.component/Contents/MacOS/iChatTheaterPreview. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    getComponentVersion could not resolve this component alias.
    getComponentVersion failed.

12. mrchinchilla thread starter macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

I've done some playing around, and the crashes seem to be because of a conflict between iTunes and the /Library/QuickTime folder, more accurately the DesktopVideoOut.component file, if you move that to the desktop (don't delete it, probably not a good idea) iTunes will launch fine. I still don't understand why it would let me open it through Terminal but not by launching the application by clicking. :confused:

Clearly iTunes 10 wasn't ready for release, hence the delay, and it's still broken.

13. lince32 macrumors newbie

Great Job

Thanks!

Exactly same thing happened to me and was solved getting rid of the desktopvideoout.component plugin?!?!
    For the record I was able to lauch Itunes trough terminal with the foloowing errors:
    iTunes(630,0xa0901500) malloc: *** error for object 0x1486e90: pointer being freed was not allocated
    iTunes(630,0xa0901500) malloc: *** error for object 0x1487780: pointer being freed was not allocated
    iTunes(630,0xa0901500) malloc: *** error for object 0x1486e90: pointer being freed was not allocated
    iTunes(630,0xa0901500) malloc: *** error for object 0x12dcb10: pointer being freed was not allocated