iTunes 10 disable volume control

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by goormart, Sep 2, 2010.

1. goormart macrumors newbie

In iTunes 9 i was able to disable the volume control for remote speakers in Airtunes. In iTunes 10 this option has disappeared in Airplay. Is it somewhere else in the menu or have they just threw this option out of iTunes 10. Is there some sort of workaround?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I'm also having this problem. I want my volume to only control my computer and NOT effect the Airport remote speakers. Has someone found a workaround?

3. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

you can set the volume for your computer and each speaker individually.

click on the AirPlay symbol, then select multiple speakers.

[​IMG]

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I know this but I use a program called SizzlingKeys so I can adjust the volume with my function keys (I keep iTunes on Spaces 2 screen). I need to be able to adjust just the computer volume and not effect the Airports too.

EDIT: Also the same (or worse since you can't adjust individually) problem using the iPhone Remote App.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It looks like Apple changed the way the volume works so each Airport could be adjusted in the new iPad/iPhone Apps that just came out today. I hope SizzlingKey will come out with an update to control each device individually.

6. Fofer macrumors 6502a

Yep, I noticed this. Interestingly enough, this distinct, adjustable volume control for Airports only seems to work when you connect the Remote to an instance of iTunes on a computer. Makes sense, as this was a new feature with iTunes 10.

When I use it connect to my 160 GB AppleTV (my preferred music source, as I like to leave my laptop out of it if I can) there's no UI to adjust each Airport's volume.

I'm bummed about that disparity. I suspect the new AppleTV won't have the same disparity, but of course without any hard drive included, it'll still require a serving computer to be on, with iTunes 10 running.

Ah well. I guess my next hope is that AirPlay from the iPad allows for distinct volume control to each Airport. Still, with only 32 GB in my iPad, it won't be holding all my music.