iTunes 10 finally fixed the SLOW iPad Back Up Issue?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gatearray, Sep 2, 2010.

1. gatearray macrumors 65816

I just backed up my iPad for the very first time since April via iTunes 10.

Like many others here, I have suffered with epic back up times (several hours) and have always cancelled out of frustration before just giving up on the idea all together, but just a moment ago I gave it a whirl on iTunes 10 and it backed up in just 40 minutes! Not a bad time for an initial back up, and I bet they'll be even shorter moving forward like others here have noted.

2. celticpride678

iTunes 10 features faster syncing in general and it actually works.

3. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

My iPad finishes backups in a minute or less every time. I have not tried it with iTunes 10. Are "epic" backups common? Is it fixed with a restore?

4. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

Yea foreal.
    My iPad has always backed up more than 3 times faster than my iPhone. With or Without iTunes 10.

5. gatearray thread starter macrumors 65816

Many users have suffered with back ups that take literally hours, one guy here left his overnight and it still wasn't done! Tons of threads on the subject, actually, and all sorts of "voodoo" to try and rectify it.

My subsequent back ups since I posted this and made some changes were completed in less than a minute, so for me moving forward, problem solved! :)

6. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

7. doboy macrumors 68000

I notice slower backup times compared to my iPhone 4 so I think backup times will improve once iPad goes to 4.2.

8. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

I remember having really slow back up times with my iPhone 8+ hours at times. I read that it has to do with error reporting. When you update apps on your iPhone/iPad it creates error reports for each instance. So the trick is to do all updates and deletes on iTunes itself instead on your iPhone/iPad and sync afterwards. I had to do a complete restore and deleted old backup files and did a fresh sync back to iPhone. Took awhile, but backups now takes only 30 seconds.

9. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

Me too. A minute or two. I've read a couple of posts about long backups but I didn't think it was that big of a problem. Guess I'm wrong.