iTunes - 10 Foot Interface?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jblagden, Sep 14, 2015.

1. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

I'd like to be able to watch iTunes videos on a T.V. with just a computer plugged into the T.V. I've tried Plex and Kodi, and neither of them can play iTunes content.

I guess I'm just looking for a 10-foot interface which I can use to control iTunes without using a mouse or trackpad.

Ideally, I'd like something which is available for OS X and also Windows because I'd like to use this on my MacBook Pro, as well as an old Windows XP desktop which I'd like to use as a media center at my grandparent's house.

By the way, I don't want to have to run a server because such as solution wouldn't work at my grandparents' house because they don't have an Internet connection. Also, I often leave my MacBook at home, either because I forget or I don't think I'll be using it. It would be a lot simpler to just have a HTPC there.

Has anyone found a 10-foot interface for iTunes which is available for OS X and Windows?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

2. martinm0, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015

martinm0 macrumors 6502a

AppleTV? :rolleyes:

The last ATV3 had a peer to peer function built in so it didn't require a network connection. Using this you should be able to airplay videos directly to the TV, or if you set up an ad-hoc network connection between your computers and the ATV, your iTunes library should show up on the ATV so you can browse it with the remote.

But no, I haven't tried hunting for one since I picked up a few of these boxes. Been very happy ever since.

EDIT: When you say "iTunes content" are you referring to purchased content, or videos (assuming you're talking videos only) you've added to iTunes? If it's not purchased, you should have more options like VLC and Plex, but anything purchased will require still using iTunes directly (or the AppleTV).

3. jblagden thread starter macrumors 65816

jblagden

I was really hoping to not have to spend any money on this project, and I was really hoping to only use the computer.

That's not quite what I was looking for, but I'll keep that in mind in case it's the only option.

4. JAT macrumors 603

Like, an audio cable? Or are you looking for remote control? Many mice/keyboards are wireless. Not quite sure what you mean. aTV is the simple route, comes with all of the above, only $69 brand new, now. I spent more than that on one of the tools I use to make my own audio cables.

5. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    If it's an old MB Pro, carve out a partition and install an older version of OS X that includes a program called "Front Row". Or if you have an old (retired) computer laying around, look in Applications folder and see if you can spot "Front Row". That was pretty much exactly what you appear to be seeking...

...EXCEPT that's Mac only, so the Windows part of your request will fall short. To cover both, you need to start looking around at third party software. A good place to start would be Plex.

That said though, I'd encourage you to scratch up some money and buy an :apple:TV. The third generation is $69. You might be able to find people selling theirs for <$69 in anticipation of getting the new version just announced. Thus, maybe even $40 or so could get you one.

6. jblagden thread starter macrumors 65816

jblagden

1. I have a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse set, so that's not a problem.

2. Sounds nice, but that's not a total solution.
    A. My grandparents don't have an Internet connection B. I'd still need the desktop for that. I'd really like to only use one device for this.

7. JAT macrumors 603

Why are you worried about internet connection? What does that have to do with serving local content?

You are either going to have to teach them some software and directly connect their XP box to the TV, or get a little streaming device. Roku might be better for XP and Mac. Perhaps with Plex, although I've never used it (I mean Plex on Roku), not sure.