Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amnesiac7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Here is the scenario:

I have a few TV episodes I want to transfer from my iMac to another person's MacBook (I'm using Lion, she's using Leopard). How can I do this? We're not currently in the same city, but I will be visiting her city soon. Can I put the TV show episodes onto a USB disc and drop them into her iTunes folder when I see her? Can I transfer them to her over the internet in advance of our meeting? What is the best solution?

Amnesiac7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Isn't what you're trying to do illegal?

Really? I didn't think so. I purchased the TV episodes myself (or, more specifically, I purchased a Season Pass for the latest season of Mad Men). My girlfriend and I watched the premiere at my place but she's heading back to another city and we want to watch the rest of the episodes that are available (at this point, there are 2 more). So, I want to transfer the episodes to her computer so we can watch them together rather than lugging my 27" iMac to an entirely different city.

Why is that illegal?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Why is that illegal?

Well, if it worked the way you wanted what's to stop you from doing the same thing with 10,000 other 'friends' on the internet?

You CAN do what you want, but you'll have to use up one of your iTunes device authorizations. (This is what will prevent you from doing this to everyone you know.)

On your friend's Mac go into the computer's settings and make a whole new user profile and switch to that. In that into the iTunes store with your name and passowrd. Then, you can re-download the episode for free within iTunes. I don't know where that is on the Mac, but I've been doing it on my iPad recently (re-downloading shows that were already bought and downloaded on my iPhone) and it works great there. So you should be able to do the same on her computer.

The drawback is that her computer now counts as one of your authorized computers, and you only get so many. You should probably de-authorize her machine within iTunes before you leave to re-claim that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.