iTunes 10 (mockups)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ipedro, May 11, 2010.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

At the cusp of reaching its 10th version, iTunes has grown to become bulky and complex with too many functions scattered around. It's lost its characteristic Apple simplicity.

Just like iMovie and Quicktime were rebooted as a blank slate in their new versions, iTunes is due for a rewrite from the ground up.

I propose taking inspiration from the best glimpse of Apple's vision of the future (iPad) and applying it to iTunes.

[​IMG]

This is a collaborative effort so please feel free to take what I've done and refine it.

Thank you to afireintonto for the source iPad caps.

2. Kieranic Guest

No Offence, but I prefer the look of iTunes 9 :p (It looks better on the iPad then it does on the Mac)

3. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

An iPad restriction -- not using a window UI, forced iPad UI designers to find a simple navigating solution that didn't involve going back and forth between pages. The result was the popup. It works well and should be applied to iTunes for Mac and PC:

[​IMG]

Some UI elements that I'd like to point out:

The one click access to Songs, Artists, Albums, Genres and Composers allow users to easily find and enjoy their content.

These buttons change according to context. Music sorting buttons are currently displayed but TV, Movies, iTunes Store buttons appear when those are selected.

Notice that I've omitted the virtual LCD display. This is used in the current iTunes to display currently playing, ripping info, Device syncing, etc.

All these functions can be assigned to a progress circle replacing the the appropriate icon in the left column.

Additional information can be displayed in the Cover Art / Now Playing window below left.

The iTunes Store. More than just a window into a store is more firmly integrated into iTunes:

[​IMG]

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Very nice. I really like it actually, and I must say, I do agree with your opinion on iTunes 9. It has gotten a bit bloated and busy on the eyes over the progression. Yea, you've captured a great minimalist version of iTunes and I think it works wonderfully.

One thing I'd like to see actually (and this is merely cosmetic) is cover flow over a white background. I think it would look cleaner and more elegant. Though what I find interesting is that when viewing albums in grid format, I very much appreciate the darkened background. Though I know these decisions will vary greatly between users. Apple did a good thing by bringing back the feature in 9.1. I just think they should have a white bg option for cover flow as well.

Anyway, I'd love to see more mockups if you plan on showing other facets of iTunes.