iTunes 10+ on PPC?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MaskAndWig, Feb 19, 2012.

1. MaskAndWig macrumors member

After nearly seven years, my 2005 iMac G5 (iSight) is still in daily use as my main computer. I have Leopard on it and it runs rock-solid. Of course, since Apple discontinued support for PowerPC Macs some time ago, Software Update doesn't have much to do for me anymore, but every two weeks or so, it will still try to get me to update to the newest version of iTunes (10.5.3 came up today). I'm still running iTunes 9 on my machine -- I made the mistake of "upgrading" to iTunes 10 on my laptop and I don't like the duller, gray interface nor do I need any of the newer "features" like Ping. So, I keep dismissing SU's prompts to upgrade iTunes. What I keep wondering, though, is would the latest iTunes even run on my G5? I would be surprised if they were still writing iTunes for PPC Macs. Is anyone running iTunes 10+ on a PPC machine? How well does it run? I'm just curious.

2. goMac macrumors 603

Yes, it will work.

It won't show up in Software Update if it doesn't run.

My dad ran it on his iBook G4 to sync to his iPhone before he was upgraded to Intel at Christmas.

3. MaskAndWig thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thanks. I figured Software Update should only show appropriate updates for my hardware and OS, but given the way Apple has turned its back on PowerPC, I was surprised that an iTunes update in 2012 would still be compatible. Interesting. (I still won't upgrade, though! -- haha)

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It won't be long though, before Leopard is sent to the dump as well. And when that happens, us PPC users are out of luck.

I run Tiger on my eMac as my main machine, and I'm not happy that I have to use an older PC with Windows XP on it to use my iPod nano. Progress and all that, I know. :rolleyes: