iTunes 10 (or 9) won't launch on 10.6

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macdot, Sep 15, 2010.

1. macdot macrumors 6502

This is weird. A few days ago iTunes 10 started causing my computer to go crazy every time I launched it (didn't realize it was iTunes at this point causing the problems). The computer would slow to a snail's pace and eventually completely freeze. Then a day or so later iTunes stopped launching all together. It bounces in the dock, stops and then has to be force quit. Most disturbingly after one of these unsuccessful launches, when I try to shut down, the computer hangs and basically freezes requiring a hard shut down with the power button. A few reinstallations later, no change.

So, I moved back to iTunes 9 (completely uninstalled 10). Same problem. Won't launch. Bounces, stalls.

Nothing else is new on my computer, removing the QT components didn't help.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Have you tried moving the iTunes plist file to your desktop and having iTunes create a new one when it loads?

3. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

also, try removing the Genius database. In the "Finder" go to the /username/Music/iTunes/ folder and delete the "iTunes Library Genius.itdb" file. This may allow the program to launch again. This file will be recreated upon first use of the "Genius" feature.

and, if you have flip4mac installed, uninstall the WM Components via the uninstaller at /Applications/Flip4Mac/Flip4Mac WMV Uninstaller.pkg, after which iTunes might open successfully.

4. macdot thread starter macrumors 6502

Already tried removing the plist files, didn't help.

No Flip4Mac on this machine.

Tried removing the Genius file, but no luck.

Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

what happens if you create a new admin user account, log into that, and fire up iTunes ?

if iTunes works as expected on the new user account, log back into your usual account and try this:

(a) download the Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo) from here: http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1048
    (b) reboot into safe mode http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455
    (c) launch disk utility (in applications/utilities), verify disk and repair permissions while in safe mode
    (d) run the combo
    (e) after running the combo, let the Mac reboot normally and repair permissions again.

now try launching iTunes.

6. macdot thread starter macrumors 6502

Rebooting into safe mode, repairing permissions did it. Thanks!

7. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

glad i could help !

happy computing ...

JG