iTunes 10 podcast sync bug...any movement?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by btownguy, Dec 16, 2010.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

basically the bug makes it where the playback position (where you are in a podcast) is not synced correctly between iTunes and your device (iPhone 4 in my case).

Scenario 1: Download a new podcast episode on your Mac/iTunes. Listen to 20 minutes. Sync to iPhone. When you listen to it on your iPhone, it starts at the beginning...not 20 minutes in like it should.

Scenario 2: Download a new podcast episode on your Mac/iTunes. Sync to iPhone. When you listen to it on your iPhone for the first time, it starts randomly somewhere in the middle...not at the start like it should.

This bug didn't exist with iTunes 9. The bug appeared in iTunes 10 and still exists as of version 10.1.1 that was released a couple of days ago.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2582679

Any ideas on how to get movement on this from Apple? Already reported it as a bug online as well as posted in the thread on the discussion forum. This bug is PAINFUL for heavy podcast listeners.

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I've been having this problem with iTunes on Windows since version 10.0 and it's very frustrating as I listen to a lot of podcasts a week. It came to the point where I would manually note the time index of the podcast that I was listening to, sync my phone and then manually scrub to the correct position before I leave for university.

It's been happening less frequently for me now, whether that's to do with the later versions of iTunes being installed, but it still happens.

These frequent little, yet highly annoying, bugs that keep cropping up in iTunes and iOS 4.x on my 3G is making me consider switching to Windows Phones 7 after Christmas. I haven't been happy with my iPhone since the release of iOS 4. :(

3. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

I've also been having this problem, since iTunes 10 was released if I remember correctly. Would love a solution from Apple asap!

AnDy

4. Dembo macrumors regular

Dembo

Same over here: 10.1.1 (4) constantly loses playback position when syncing with iPhone4.

Filed a bug with Apple, let's see whether enough people annoy them so they fix things up.

5. dschultz macrumors newbie

Is there any way to determine if Apple is aware and/or working on this issue?

This issue has become a real pain for me as I use both my iPhone and two iPods to listen to podcasts. I opened an Apple Care case but it was closed without any resolution. I did provide negative feedback concerning the case and am considering opening another case.

6. g-boac macrumors 6502

Good evening to all - I similarly am having this problem. The ONLY certain way to elevate this issue to Apple's attention is send a comment to Apple using the "Submit Feedback" link in iTunes, or directly at the following link http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

The only way this issue will get addressed is if Apple gets enough user feedback indicating that this is an issue. (Apple is known to be very responsive to customer issues - but it's on us to let them know this is a problem.)

If you can, would you PLEASE take 30 seconds and send Apple a note! Trust me, I have, and also have opened an AppleCare case, and have e-mailed Steve Jobs (well before his leave) about this issue.

thanks!!
    Mark

7. dschultz macrumors newbie

Did they fix it in 10.1.2?

Wow!

I tried to replicate the playback position issue after installing 10.1.2

The playback position appears to sync properly between iPhone, iTunes, and iPod.

I have only tried one podcast so far.

Has anyone tried to confirm this?

8. g-boac macrumors 6502

I think they did!!

I believe they have. I have knocked on wood, but so far, everything has been working smoothly - podcasts, audiobooks, TV shows, and movies. Whether played on my Mac, or on my iPhone. It works just like it did before!!

Thanks to all who sent notes to Apple. This was a particularly nasty bug.

Mark