iTunes 10 problem - not playing any file.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lostanddamned, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I woke up this morning and used my apple remote to wake my MacBook, then hit play again to start iTunes playing. Nothing happened.

I verified that the sound was turned up, to maximum. And on closer inspection found that iTunes had started to play a song, but was making no progress in actually playing that song - the progress bar was stuck at 0:00 and skipping songs or scrubbing within a song makes no difference.

Restarting the application made no difference.

All of my music is 128kbps m4a and I also attempted to play m4v files, with a similar lack of success.

I am running iTunes 10.0 on OSX 10.6.4, and I have modified the .plist to restore the coloured icons, as well as using the terminal hack to restore the traffic lights to the correct orientation.

Any advice as to what to do would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lostanddamned thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

From what I have googled about this problem - will this be a permanent fix? Because I don't fancy having to restore all my metadata.

Secondly - can I still use the previously mentioned hacks in the newer version of iTunes?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't know if it will even be a temporary fix. However, the problem doesn't seem like there's an easy solution, unless it's something wrong with the files themselves. Metadata shouldn't be a concern, as metadata is stored in the file and not in iTunes. Since you are just replacing the iTunes application (and not the preference list or xml files) all of your playlists and such should remain, if that's what you meant.

Hacks are hacks. I don't know why they would affect the playing of files, but if the reinstalled, clean version of iTunes works, you re-implement the hacks, and then it stops working again, you might want to reconsider.

4. Lostanddamned thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

Ok, reinstalled iTunes (well, upgraded to 10.1) and it seems that the problem has been fixed. Thank you for your help.

By the way, the metadata that I was worried about losing was the album artwork and play counts, which - if I remember from when I upgraded to Mac, are stored in a separate file that is not always transferrable.

However a new problem has replaced the old one, it seems that my new LED cinema display's USB audio is not working correctly, as when I select that option in system preferences - there is no sound at all. Any ideas on that issue, or should I look to be sending it back for a replacement?