itunes 10 relocate all missing ! files to new folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by unknown00, Feb 18, 2012.

1. unknown00 macrumors member

on lion with itunes 10. recently moved all my music files to another folder, how can i mass bundle relocate all so none of them appear as missing? i've been searching for hours and tried a few scripts but none work

2. unknown00 thread starter macrumors member

3. dknightd macrumors 6502

You might need to move them back where they were, then have itunes move them for you. itunes is much happier if you let it do things for you. I thought Doug had a script for this, surprised to you tried them all with no luck.

4. unknown00 thread starter macrumors member

how can itunes move file locations for you?

5. dknightd macrumors 6502

6. unknown00 thread starter macrumors member

well that's exactly what i'm trying NOT to do - use the itunes media folder. that's how this problem started, moving files out of it

7. dknightd macrumors 6502

I suspect your problem began when you moved the files in the finder.
    As you have discovered iTuens does not like that.
    iTunes keeps a database of where all files are located (it does this so you can have files in more than one place if you want). If you move files any other way then you have to tell itunes where to find them. Doug has a script for this, he might charge for it now becuase it is so popular, and, requires support. It would be nice if itunes was smarter, and could look for files for you, but alas it does not.

I tried helping, but I don't have the patience to follow through today. Maybe somebody else will come along to help, or you could try google. Hope you get it sorted out to your liking.

Edit: if you are a new user, likely you still have apple support available to you. They get paid to help people.