iTunes 10 thinks I have a new iPhone (but I don't)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by darkfiber, Sep 3, 2010.

1. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

I have a iPhone 4 running 4.0.2. Yesterday I upgraded to iTunes 10 (on Windows 7 64 bit) and everything seemed to work fine. I was able to connected my iPhone and sync it etc...

This evening I connected my iPhone and did another sync. I got some weird error message (can't remember what it said) but it continued to sync. I decided to eject the iPhone and reconnect it. Now in iTunes I get the "Set Up Your iPhone" screen that you would get if you connect a new iPhone that it hasn't seen before. So I guess iTunes for some reason thinks I have a new iPhone which I do not. It is giving me the option to "Set up as a new iPhone" or to "Restore from a backup" and it lists my previous backups. I would rather not do either. Is there something I can do to get around this? Under Preferences --> Devices in iTunes I reset my sync history but that didn't help any. Has anyone seen this behavior before? Any ideas?

2. foranor macrumors regular

I have a 3GS on 4.0.2 and have had this behaviour every couple of days since 3.1.3.

My only idea is, that Jailbreaks don't get removed entirely even when you decide to reset it entirely and restore with a fresh, original apple firmware.

I had it spirit-broken once in the past for sbsettings.

It's why I hate my iPhone by now, losing all the data every couple of days is really getting annoying.
    Noone has been able to help me so far, but good luck.

3. darkfiber thread starter macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

I have never jailbroken my iPhone.

In any case I went ahead and let it restore from backup and that took around 15 minutes or so. After the restore it rebooted and reconnected to the computer iTunes saw it fine and everything (apps, music, videos, contacts) seemed to be fine.

I was worried I would have to copy all my music back over etc... but that wasn't the case.

I even ejected the iPhone from iTunes and reconnected it and everything seems to be fine now.

The reason I originally did the sync was that so I could upgrade to the iOS 4.1 GM. Which I downloaded from here and just installed (and seems to work fine).