iTunes 1013 error

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Zord, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Zord macrumors 6502

Zord

First off let me say I am aware that there are several threads on this.

My iPhone 4 is stuck in recovery mode. I'm getting the itunes 1013 error and i've found a few things after searching on Google.

This being one: http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/iphone_4_update_ios_421_gone_sour_how_fix_itunes_error_1013

I have never done this type of thing on the Macbook before. I get to the part where it says to arrow down. . but i dont undertand how to use the # that the instructions are saying. Can someone give me a visual guide? It would be so appreciated!!

Thanks!!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You're getting the 1003 error because you're trying to restore to firmware that Apple is signing anymore on their severs.

Was your iPhone jailbroken?

Attached Files:

3. Zord thread starter macrumors 6502

Zord

I am getting the 1013 error and yes my iPhone was jailbroken.

I am trying to update to 4.2

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

4.2 is no longer being signed. You have to update to 4.2.1 (that's why you're getting the error).

In my above post is a screenshot of what the article was talking about.

5. Zord thread starter macrumors 6502

Zord

Ok, let me put it this way. . . my iPhone is in recovery mode. When I click restore in itunes I get the 1013 error. I'm assuming that iTunes will be trying to update to 4.2.1?

What do you suggest to fix this? Thank you for your help man!

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yeah. Restore it back to 4.2.1.

7. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

i am having the same issue as the op. itunes is trying to restore to the newest, latest and greatest, ios 4.2.1 and i get the error 1013.

I am on the phone with apple now, and he is saying that its a hardware issue. i am going to try the instructions that were posted above if he cant figure anything else out.

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

A lot of people are getting this error. So I doubt hundreds of iPhones are magically having hardware problems. Try restoring your iPhone on another computer and make sure you have iTunes 10.1

So far nothing good has come out of 4.2/4.2.1 besides headaches caused by Apple.

9. KoL macrumors member

KoL

I always get that error when restoring. I don't know why. I use TinyUmbrella to kick it out of recovery mode.

10. Justinb51, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

i didnt even think about using TU to kick it out, i figured that the ios didnt get finished..

I followed the link above and followed the instructions (for windows), i had to run notepad as the administrator, then i tried to restore again. IT WORKED!!! i have a working iphone 4 again, running 4.2.1

just follow the link and do what it says, i cant help the op because he is trying it on a mac, sorry.

I spoke with two apple tech's on the phone and both didnt know what i was talking about. so good luck getting help from them. thank god for macrumors.

11. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

They never know what they're talking about. All they do is read from a script.

12. Zord thread starter macrumors 6502

Zord

This is what finally worked for me. I restored on another Mac (Set up as new iPhone) and then once I got it back on my Macbook I just restored from a previous backup. Worked great!

13. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Good to hear.

14. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Your host file must be set for Cydia and not Apple.

if you want to use your own MBP or anyone else have this issues, just open terminal and ping gs.apple.com

If you get 74.208.10.249 or something on that range, your host file is set to look at Cydia's servers (you may have used Tiny Umbrella before and it used to close without changing the host file back) Specially if you are or have been Jailbroken before.

if that is the case just edit your host file to look for Apple's server, you can search or google for detail step by step on how to do that.

15. jredecop macrumors 6502a

Mine did the same thing as well so I went to a different computer than I had no changed the hosts file on and it worked perfectly. Not sure if the host changing is whats causing the issue but later I found out that using tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery will work as well. Just used it to downgrade back to 4.1 had that error message again and tiny umbrella got me booted right up!! great program

16. eshroom macrumors 6502

Host files! Why did I never realise this before! I remember changing them to Cydia ages ago.

17. Zord thread starter macrumors 6502

Zord

Good to know!! Thanks!