iTunes 1080p vs. YouTube 1080p

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by GBNova, May 8, 2013.

1. GBNova macrumors member

Searched quite a bit on the net for this but haven't found any discussions on it.

Many of the YouTube 1080p vids are much sharper and detailed than iTunes 1080p movies. I was surprised when I downloaded my first iTunes movie last night at 1080p. I expected at least as good as the YouTube trailers. Even my Blu-ray disks played on the computer are at first glance on par with iTunes but fall well short of the YouTube 1080p.

Why is this, and has this been the experience of others?

2. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Economics and Bandwidth.

A company can/will spend more money to optimized the visual quality on a short trailer to entice a viewer to go to the theater or download a $10-25 movie.

It costs less to put the money in the bandwidth for a trailer than an entire 2 hour movie.

YouTube is an anomaly bc they don't charge for bandwidth. Other trailer sites probably don't either.

YouTube probably doesn't restrict the quality of Hollywood trailers either, compared to regular users.

Try using an app like iMediaHUD to compare the different data streams.

Also, if you are willing, give us some links to YouTube etc....

3. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

4. GBNova thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, what I thought. Many of the movie trailers on YouTube are better. Oblivion as an example is one of the best I've seen.