iTunes 11.1.2 and large library / external NAS drive issue

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by LondonSLR, Oct 27, 2013.

1. LondonSLR macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

Current set up is Macbook Air 4GB, 256GB HD with Mavericks 10.9 and iTunes 11.1.2 with Seagate Central 4TB NAS drive.

Before upgrade to Mavericks / iTunes, I had run my iTunes library (100GB of songs, 220GB of movies) from the Seagate Central. Ran like a dream (odd nightmare.... but dream).

Post upgrade, iTunes is SLOW - like WAY SLOW! I get the beach ball every click, it takes about 30 secs to react to clicking on a song to play, amending anything is a 1 min exercise. Adding to it is just not an option :(

If I access the NAS drive via something else e.g. Encore or Seagate's own app or via my Samsung Smart TV, its perfect and fine.

Anyone else having same issue? Or even better, a solution?

I tried downgrading to iTune 11.1.1 which I was able to find from a download site, but it didn't help at all.

2. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

hey,

I'm running mavericks on an external drive.

i use iTunes 11.2

and i also use a Synology NAS Dj212 (i think thats the model)

so far, its been fine. no noticeable difference besides the potential bottleneck of running mavericks on an external drive.

i didn't upgrade my main internal install of ML to mavericks though.

i created a fresh ML install on an external, updated it, copied my iTunes folder from my main install to the main iTunes directory on the mavericks install and it played just like it always did.

3. 50548 Guest

It seems like a lot of people are facing slowness/beach balls with iTunes 11.1.2 - let's hope Apple comes with a quick fix.