iTunes 11.4 and El Capitan (IT WORKS!)

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Fried Chicken, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Fried Chicken, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

Fried Chicken macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

I don't like the new iTunes. I believe the newer versions are a cancer to the mac experience, and I will stick to the old iTunes until feasible workarounds stop existing.

For now, I will provide instructions to those of you who want to keep your old iTunes versions going.
    First and foremost, grab your old iTunes.app and put the precious somewhere safe; where the install touch it. Proceed with your El Capitan install. Once installed:
    DO NOT OPEN THE NEW ITUNES

Do not "test it out", do not even look at it's dock icon lest your eyes accidentally open it.

Instead, open terminal, navigate to the applications folder, put your brave cap on, and type the following:

sudo rm -rf iTunes.app/
    Once done push return, enter your password, and the cancer is gone.
    It is advisable to make a backup of the cancer so you don't have to download it from the app store, but that's about it.

If you've installed *and opened* the new iTunes; congratulations you've performed forcible intercourse on yourself and will have to get your old iTunes library files back to get the old version to work. Unfortunately it's a horrible process and if you don't have any backups then you might as well just go cry in a corner. If you do have backups, google "reverting back from iTunes 12". You'll have to use some third party programs to do a reverse install (I believe pacifist is the program).

As of right now everything seems to be working. I have my sidebar, it's colorful, the iTunes store works, and it syncs with my iPhone (still on iOS 8.X).

The only error message I do get is something about iTunes not being installed correctly, however this can be solved by simply ignoring it (if someone has a better suggestion please provide input!)

Happy listening!

P.S. Turn off automatic updates.

Attached Files:

2. RobFog macrumors regular

Perhaps you should reconsider the use of the word "cancer" in this context.

3. beebarb macrumors 6502

beebarb

Declaring iTunes 12 to be a 'cancer' is a bit much, considering your only real complaint is you don't like the changes to the UI.
    That 'incorrectly installed' error isn't nothing either, it is an indicator that what you are doing will cause major problems down the line, considering all you did was replace the app bundle, instead of properly installing it.

4. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Thought this was an existing post.

Anyway, congratulations you have reverted back to previous iTunes 11.4. But this seems to be a tiresome work because I need some third party apps to revert my iTunes library back to old version. Plus I need to clean reinstall El Capitan. I think the biggest problem is iTunes library, which I have spent many hours for it. I don't want other apps messing up my iTunes library.

And I can understand why you want to use "cancer" to demote iTunes 12. What I want to know is: if iTunes 11.4 stops working at all no matter what you do, and your Mac is out of work after years, what would you do? No one can say Apple will revert to iTunes 11.4 design philosophy in the future.

5. Fried Chicken thread starter macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

What will happen major problems will occur?

6. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Maybe stuff related to iTunes Store login in in the future.

7. Eithanius macrumors 65816

It's still not a solution for those with iOS 9 devices...

8. beebarb macrumors 6502

beebarb

These problems may occur:
    Store login errors.
    Cloud sync errors.
    iOS device backup errors.
    iOS device sync errors.
    Problems using Home Sharing.

9. Fried Chicken thread starter macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

So basically it might be like itunes 12....
    hmmmm

10. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

What will you do when your apps require iOS 9 to be installed to be updated? Can't stay on iOS 8 forever. What happens if you buy a new iDevice? What happens if you need an iDevice replaced under warranty (they're probably being shipped with iOS 9 now)? You'll be back here complaining in a few months that you cant sync or backup your iOS 9 device with your dodgy iTunes install.

P.S. From someone who lost a family member to cancer, I don't appreciate the way you've used cancer to describe a piece of software. If cancer was as easy to get rid of as typing one line, I'd still have my family member today. Next time, think about who might read your posts and who might have been badly affected by cancer before you go spouting it out.

11. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

And iPhone 6s and after iPhone buyers would not be able to live without iTunes 12 that easily.

12. Eithanius, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

Eithanius macrumors 65816

From the Dictionary app:

Ever since Tim Cook took over Apple and Jony Ive taking over design cues, there's no check and balance of what they've been spouting out that quality of these software suffered. Bottom line is, Apple don't really care, all they care is profit profit profit. Their keynotes nowadays are like a bunch of celebrities seeking approval ratings as opposed to SJ's product centricity. Now this is CANCEROUS.

P.S. I have a cousin whom I'm close to whose got inflicted by cancer for over 4 years now. Sadly, he might not survive the end of the year. I've already missed his sessions of mahjong, carrom, and billiards. But does the word "cancer" affect me...? You might need to brush up your vocabulary before spouting out nonsense...

13. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

Get over yourself. Come back when you're worth as much as Apple is today. Clearly they're doing something right since Apple is worth way more now than it was when Steve Jobs was in control. Since you know so much about business, you'll know that they are far from cancer. Maybe you should brush up on your vocabulary if you think Apple is cancer.

14. AAPLGeek macrumors regular

It works but one issue I've faced is that iTunes older than version 12 can't sync .ePub to my iPhone running 8.4.1.

This wasn't an issue till iOS 8.3.

15. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

So the sync of iOS devices running a little bit new system (iOS 8.4 or higher) would fail using iTunes 11.4, right?

16. AAPLGeek macrumors regular

No, the sync itself completes successfully. Only the ePub files don't show up the the iPhone running 8.4.1.

17. technologybob macrumors newbie

technologybob

CANCER is the most correct way to describe any version of itunes past 11.4!

18. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Some of the choicest words used in non-apologetic way.

Was fun to read.

Now I will continue with iTunes 12.3 and iOS 9.1

@OP
    You hang in there huh buddy!!!

19. Fried Chicken thread starter macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

You have to use the Sudo command.

20. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

This is why I run both 12.3 and 10.4.1 on my Macs; best of both worlds.

21. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

Sudo command can force a non-iOS 9 compatible itunes to sync an iOS 9 device? Good luck with that one.

22. technologybob macrumors newbie

technologybob

you funny! I fixed it tho... turned off the auto update in the app store app.

23. sibcc, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015

sibcc macrumors member

sibcc

Fast food hamburgers are also popular, but that doesn't mean they're quality. Argumentum ad populum is fallacious. Further, they're is nothing wrong with using the term "cancer" in the above context. People need to get a thicker skin.

I do think that anyone that goes through the trouble of reverting to an early version of iTunes is aware of the possible consequences that may arise in the future. I run 11.4 and just recently started experimenting with 10.7 on my dedicated music playing Mac Pro. Itunes simply acts as the database to the Amarra player software.