Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did updating to iOS 9 result in losing connection/sync capability with iTunes 11?

• Yes, iTunes now says I need a newer version.

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • No, it still connects, and syncs fine for me. I'm lucky, I guess.

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

davjenkins

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2016
I did an OTA update to an iPhone 5S and iPad Air 2 from 8.4.1 to 9.3.1 today and am able to sync with iTunes 11.4. Fingers crossed for future updates.

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Many, but not all, iTunes 11.4 users are reporting that after updating to iOS 9, their devices will no longer connect to iTunes 11, and demand iTunes 12.

However, there are some who say that they have no problems, and the dialog box warning never comes up.

Clearly, under some circumstances, the iOS 9 and iTunes 11.4 combo does work.

This is an attempt to try to discern what those are.

There is a poll attached, and you're free to share your experiences as well, particularly if you've had success.

However, please be sure to note:

-OS X version (10.6.8), iTunes version (11.4 build 18), machine hardware (MB, iMac, etc.)

-Type of device. List each separately if you have more than one. Some say one will work, while another won't.

-How did you perform the iOS 9 update? Through iTunes, or OTA?

-Can you actually sync using 11.4? Via USB, and/or Wi-Fi?

There is definitely something at work here, so for the sake of those who won't, or can't update to iTunes 12 and/or 10.7+, let's see if we can determine what is occurring.

Sorry for digging this old thread up ..but does this really work? My iPhone 6 replacement is now doing the same, my damaged iPhone 6 works fine with OS X 10.6.8+ iTunes version 11.4 but the new replacement is no longer working with my iTunes anymore. Does anyone know how to downgrade to earlier iOS, Apple no longer signs previous versions and..I'm stuck.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
If a device won't connect to iTunes 11, then it won't connect.

The OTA "loophole" is probably something Apple unknowingly let slip through.

A full install .ips installation, or a device loaded with iOS 9 from Apple is going to have whatever safeguard they used to prevent iTunes 11 from connecting.

davjenkins

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2016
Another update...I did an OTA update to my iPhone 5S and iPad Air 2 from 9.3.2 to 9.3.4 today and am still able to sync with iTunes 11.4. So far so good...

Emile the Cat

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2015
Now who wants to go first with iOS 10!?

I suppose I'll try it, at maybe 10.0.2 or so...
tried upgrading last night...still using iTunes 11.4 and os 10.6....did not work over the air...iPhotos message "unable to display photos on connected phone"...itunes "unable to recognize device"...tried downgrading using ispw file but no success...error message ipswich was "not compatible "...aggravating 3 1/2 hours...it may finally be time for a new mac

davjenkins

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2016
tried upgrading last night...still using iTunes 11.4 and os 10.6....did not work over the air...iPhotos message "unable to display photos on connected phone"...itunes "unable to recognize device"...tried downgrading using ispw file but no success...error message ipswich was "not compatible "...aggravating 3 1/2 hours...it may finally be time for a new mac

So you had successfully done iOS 9.x OTA updates in the past, and iOS 10 broke your sync, right? I was afraid of that, that we were just squeaking by on some fortuitous fluke in iOS 9 that would disappear with a newly written iOS system...

For what it's worth, Firefox is now orphaning Snow Leopard, and there haven't been OS X security updates in years, I may (reluctantly) move to El Capitan for daily use soon myself...

Emile the Cat

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2015
So you had successfully done iOS 9.x OTA updates in the past, and iOS 10 broke your sync, right? I was afraid of that, that we were just squeaking by on some fortuitous fluke in iOS 9 that would disappear with a newly written iOS system...

For what it's worth, Firefox is now orphaning Snow Leopard, and there haven't been OS X security updates in years, I may (reluctantly) move to El Capitan for daily use soon myself...
at this point i'm not gonna go nuts...i enjoyed syncing my personal itunes tracks for listening in the car but will have to stick with Napster (aka Rhapsody) streaming or downloads...getting photos into iphoto a bit more work but i'll deal with it...my imac will probably crap out soon anyway...10 years old i can't complain Apple wants me to buy a new one at this point

davjenkins

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2016
I have a 2009 Mac Pro that has Snow Leopard on one drive and El Capitan on the other, but I use SL for my mail, iTunes and main OS; I like Snow Leopard and Rosetta, but if I migrate over to El Capitan I can always boot into it when I have to. I also bought Snow Leopard Server ($20 from Apple) to run someday when I have a Mac that can't run SL!

drea97

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
I removed IOS 10 off my iPad Air because there is a bug blue screen death need to be fixed. I really don't like how I have to press the button to unlocked the iPad and apple git rid of "trash all mail".

goshya

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Europe
Not only is the sync with iTunes broken after installing iOS 10, I can't even transfer photos from my iPhone to my Mac anymore for backup purposes.

I thought the iPhone was supposed to behave like a digital camera when connected to a computer. How did they manage to mess this up when connecting to Snow Leopard and trying to get photos of the iPhone using Image Capture or iPhoto?

Disappointing.

Emile the Cat

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2015
Not only is the sync with iTunes broken after installing iOS 10, I can't even transfer photos from my iPhone to my Mac anymore for backup purposes.

I thought the iPhone was supposed to behave like a digital camera when connected to a computer. How did they manage to mess this up when connecting to Snow Leopard and trying to get photos of the iPhone using Image Capture or iPhoto?

Disappointing.
It looks like this thread can officially become obsolete...after 10.2 release, compatibility with ios10 will not be coming...time for a new Mac anyway...it will be nice to actually see my iPhone show up in itunes again...
thanks to all for your past input

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
It looks like this thread can officially become obsolete...after 10.2 release, compatibility with ios10 will not be coming...time for a new Mac anyway...it will be nice to actually see my iPhone show up in itunes again...
thanks to all for your past input
Whats the lowest iTunes 12.x version that works with iOS 10, esp iOS 10.2?

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Whats the lowest iTunes 12.x version that works with iOS 10, esp iOS 10.2?

I'd say 12.4, or probably even 12.5.

I use iTunes to do iOS updates, and 10.x (I don't which specific version) demanded that iTunes be updated before it could even perform the iOS update.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
I tried with 12.3.0.44 and there was no such demand, but just an error after Extraction and just at time of Uploading firmware/ OS.

I went online Wiki and saw iTunes versions and noticed one where it said iOS 10 support was added. Used that.

I think it was 12.5.1.17

I'd say 12.4, or probably even 12.5.

I use iTunes to do iOS updates, and 10.x (I don't which specific version) demanded that iTunes be updated before it could even perform the iOS update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.