Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Is anyone else having issues with random cover art (for me, around 30-40% of my collection) not showing album art despite it being there in the Info window? The only way to get it to redisplay is to cut and paste the same cover image from the info option, after which the artwork shows again. It's quite odd. Otherwise, I am loving the iTunes 11 interface a great deal.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
getting the same in the movies section

got one fixed by doing the same as you, try it again and itunes just freezes

cwg

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Yup, on both my iPhone 4 and iPad mini album art is missing and there is no rhyme or reason as to which album is missing and which isn't. This was a problem that's existed since ios5 and I was hoping it would have been corrected in iTunes 11.

It's just so frustrating and nowhere has there been mention of an actual fix.

It's pathetic that this bug continues to exist with NO acknowledgement from Apple whatsoever.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
That's the odd thing. The album art appears without problem on my iPhone and iPad but not on my laptop even though they're embedded in the files still.

bgrove

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Same problem! Have a large library - over 30,000 albums so this is big deal! In my case each song has artwork embedded with it.

Slightly easier way I've found to correct rather than cut and repaste artwork back in is to go to each album missing the artwork and start playing it such that the artwork shows up top with the playing song. Then expand the album view and close after which it shows up in the grid view.

Btw, tried cleaning the Album Cache out so it would rebuild. Made matters worse!

bigpapa

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
Quick workaround

I too am experiencing this issue and I have a substantial library with perfectly sourced artwork.

One workaround I've found to restore the artwork is to 'Get Info' on the first track of an album and go to the 'Artwork' tab. You should see your artwork there and iTunes will immediately populate the grid view and all the other views with the correct artwork for that album. Kinda weird, but I hope this helps someone.

Pro tip: Create a smart playlist where it only has tracks whose track number is 1. View the playlist in grid view, use the arrow keys to navigate to busted covers and then command+i to open info, (it will auto open to artwork after the first one), and then hit return. You can blaze through them pretty quickly that way.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Itunes does not embed album art into each song. Itunes downloads the album art and puts it in a file called Album art. When you play the song in Itunes, it shows the album art along with the song. Itunes also does not transfer the album art to your Iphone or Ipad when you load the device up. If you want Album art embeded into a song file, you will have to find an app that embeds album art. If you embed album art into each song file, it will always show properly.

longdang

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
The fundamental thing to have artwork always showing is to embed the artwork to the music file so that the artwork can be transferred along with the music files. Tenorshare Music Cleanup comes in for help. It automatically finds artwork for all your songs in the iTunes library and then you can embed the artwork to every song, which enables the artwork to show up anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.