Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
I downloaded iTunes 11 to my late 2009 Macbook. Whenever I launch iTunes, it freezes with the never-ending beach ball. I've tried restarting, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
I attempted reinstalling the software, but this didn't fix the issue. Surely my computer isn't too old for this version of iTunes.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
I attempted reinstalling the software, but this didn't fix the issue. Surely my computer isn't too old for this version of iTunes.

Remember it's a straight release, not a point release (i.e. not 11.0.1, it is 11.00) so there are bound to be bugs. I experienced freezing when using the search bar :rolleyes: .

Last edited:

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
Working fine on my 2011 27" iMac with 12GB RAM and on my 2010 13" MBP.

in fact, its alot smoother than the last version.

have you tried going into disk utility and then repair disk permissions on your main HDD?

ive done that once or twice after encountering problems after software updates etc, and then after it works fine.

Im no expert but it worked for me. maybe someone with a little more knowledge can help.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Working fine on my 2011 27" iMac with 12GB RAM and on my 2010 13" MBP.

in fact, its alot smoother than the last version.

have you tried going into disk utility and then repair disk permissions on your main HDD?

ive done that once or twice after encountering problems after software updates etc, and then after it works fine.

Im no expert but it worked for me. maybe someone with a little more knowledge can help.

Thanks. I'm giving it a whirl. It is giving an estimated time of 56 minutes, it was 45 when it first began and then 47. I haven't ever done this before. I installed iTunes 11 on my husband's MacBook Pro and it works just fine. I live it so far. I'm just anxious to use it with my own media and organization. Hubb's isn't as anal about his iTunes as I am.

rscalf

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
iTunes 11 freezes fixed

I was having the same problem after installing iTunes 11. I deleted all my preference files for iTunes and it started up without any problems.

Rick

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
Thanks. I'm giving it a whirl. It is giving an estimated time of 56 minutes, it was 45 when it first began and then 47. I haven't ever done this before. I installed iTunes 11 on my husband's MacBook Pro and it works just fine. I live it so far. I'm just anxious to use it with my own media and organization. Hubb's isn't as anal about his iTunes as I am.

Hope it works

let me no if it does :D

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
Do you guys have an i Device connected (iPhone,iPad,iPod) when you open up iTunes?

looking at the Apple support forums it seems to be a problem with syncing? :confused:

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Do you guys have an i Device connected (iPhone,iPad,iPod) when you open up iTunes?

looking at the Apple support forums it seems to be a problem with syncing? :confused:

I turned off my iPad and iPhone upon your suggestion, but the beach ball persists.

----------

Also since installing, my back ups are taking forever. The first took 2 and a half hours to back up 2.5 gb. The most recent back up is going on 45 minutes so far for 67 mb.

You read that right, 67 megabytes.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
F'in A. :mad: Not only can I not use iTunes, I can't restore from Time Capsule. I get an error message that says iTunes cannot be modified or deleted b/c it is needed by OSX.

Colinus21

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Canada
Reset iTunes Cache in Preferences

Hey,

My iPad wasn't syncing when I started up iTunes 11 so I did as noted above: went into Disk Utility, Verified/Repaired Permissions/Disk on my main HDD, then I went into iTunes preferences, checked the box disabling auto synchronization of devices when plugged into a computer, and I reset the iTunes cache. Now iTunes is working! Slowly, mind you but still working.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Hey,

My iPad wasn't syncing when I started up iTunes 11 so I did as noted above: went into Disk Utility, Verified/Repaired Permissions/Disk on my main HDD, then I went into iTunes preferences, checked the box disabling auto synchronization of devices when plugged into a computer, and I reset the iTunes cache. Now iTunes is working! Slowly, mind you but still working.

I've tried verifying and repairing disk permissions without any luck. I'll try again if I can get into Preferences and change some settings. However, iTunes freezes upon opening and I can't get to Preferences, unless you can suggest another way to open preferences in iTunes.

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
I don't think I will be installing / updating to 11 any time soon - it's not mandatory is it? I can keep using 10 for now?

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Well on my Windows 7 PC it all works (not connected iPhone/iPad to it yet) except for playing any kind of video where it freezes indefinitely.

Initially I thought this was because I set my portable hard drive with non-iTunes films on (MP4) as the film directory but alas even trying to play the single iTunes video I've ever downloaded and not moved it still freezes until I go to task manager and force it to close... No ideas...

mlamb64150

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2012
Isle of Man
F'in A. :mad: Not only can I not use iTunes, I can't restore from Time Capsule. I get an error message that says iTunes cannot be modified or deleted b/c it is needed by OSX.

I've done a full system restore via Time Machine to prior to installing iTunes 11. I'll try again in future, but not doing without old iTunes in the mean time.

Rivvvers

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
The Shire
im on a month old imac 27 3.4quad, 16gb of ram, yadda yadda, it has nothing to do with mac spec.
and another thing, where the hell has the artist album artwork grid gone... not impressed with this cheap **** so far.
you carnt even change the sizing of the artwork. my god.
what is it with apple lately, instead of giving you more options as releases progress, they stripe features from it...

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have a Mid-2009 MBP and iTunes 11 is working perfectly.

It's actually one of the fastest pieces of software I use now, and i have about a 50GB library. I'm very picky about having all of my artwork and everything very well organized and the new view is absolutely awesome. For me, it's perfect feature-wise and the redesigned layout and device manager are sleek.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.