Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
So i dig the new layout and that the TV Shows are organized by Title and not Season! Choosing the 1st season photo artwork for the TV Show gallery is not a problem for me at all either in the TV Show flow, but once you click on a TV series and you are now inside that Series WHY when you scroll through the different Season of that series is that SEASON 1 art still the default? Each Seasons episodes change when clicked but the Season 1 artwork stays....? In the screen capture above Everybody loves Raymond is on Season 2 with the episodes, but as you can see the artwork is Season 1?!

Anyone figure out why or worked around this? Thanks in advance JIM

itunes11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
I noticed this exact same issue and it made me a rather sad panda. It works fine when I go through my Apple TV, and also has the correct artwork if you go into the list view or under 'Get Info'.

I spent a whole bunch of time ripping my Blu Rays and making sure each one had the correct season artwork. Seems kinda lame that they made it a moot point under such a beautiful interface...

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Right back atcha, and hoping there will be a way for the season specific artwork to display properly in the future...

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
Oh Apple, you came so close to getting this right. It's great that all the seasons are now grouped together under one show (having multiple seasons listed as separate shows was irritating), but now it seems like all that artwork I gathered for everything post-season one was a wasted effort.

Ideally, here's what I'd want: series artwork, and then under that each season with its separate artwork. But I'd settle for having season 1 artwork serve as the default in the library and then displaying the artwork for other seasons within the show.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
I wonder whether it's because of the effect on the style of the background when you change the art for each series...

I kind of miss seeing everything split by season to be honest

Well I'm 100% in the 'like the new direction' camp... However there are a few issues that I'd love to think are simply bug fixes and future feature items.

1 - While viewing seasons within iTunes the artwork should change to the episodes artwork. Even to the point that if I put different art for each episode said art should get displayed.

2 - AppleTV shoud follow iTunes lead and group the TV seasons of a single show under one 'top level' entry instead of having all the seasons from all of the shows all appear at the top level as has been the case thus far. IIRC ATV1 did it the right way tho its been a while.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Yeah this frustrates me too, especially since I can tell which season by the artwork and I find that most handy when viewing in iTunes. It's my only beef with the new iTunes....

henchosbandito

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Somewhere between 10 and 11
Something else I've noticed (that is marginally more annoying) is, say you're watching an episode in season 4 of a series in full screen, when the episode finishes, the TV Shows view in iTunes defaults back to Series 1. Anyone else found this?

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Something else I've noticed (that is marginally more annoying) is, say you're watching an episode in season 4 of a series in full screen, when the episode finishes, the TV Shows view in iTunes defaults back to Series 1. Anyone else found this?

Yes, that's very annoying! I was starting to wonder just how many times Tony Soprano was going to flash back to his first visit to Dr Melfi...

Kavok

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
It's not just artwork

The greater issue than the artwork I'm having is I purchased "Hell on Wheels" from the iTunes store. The episodes downloaded fine, and it shows "Seasons 1, 2" under the artwork. When I click the artwork, it only shows the episodes from Season 1. They do show up if I go to List mode, but then it doesn't show the artwork associated with it. I cannot find anything to get it to show the episodes from Season 2 in the regular grid mode. What am I missing?

Also my iTunes is stuck in "dark" mode from the previous releases of iTunes. With the new UI, I can no longer read half of the text in the dark backgrounds. Apple took out the only way to change it back to "light" mode in Preferences. Does anyone know how to change it? :confused:

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
I cannot find anything to get it to show the episodes from Season 2 in the regular grid mode. What am I missing?

At the top right of the list of season episodes (Right above the artwork), there should be a list of seasons. Just click Season 2, and that should fix that problem.

I'm of no help on the other issue though. Sorry.

Kavok

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
At the top right of the list of season episodes (Right above the artwork), there should be a list of seasons. Just click Season 2, and that should fix that problem.

I'm of no help on the other issue though. Sorry.

THANK YOU! With that black background, I can't even see the other choices above the artwork. No wonder I couldn't find it. :cool:

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
With iTunes 11, the 1st season artwork was the default for both the mail view as well as when you expanded to show the episodes. When viewing the episode listing, regardless of the season, you'd see just season 1 art.

However, I just updated to iTunes 11.0.2 and there has been a change. Now, you see the MOST RECENT season's artwork in both views.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
With iTunes 11, the 1st season artwork was the default for both the mail view as well as when you expanded to show the episodes. When viewing the episode listing, regardless of the season, you'd see just season 1 art.

However, I just updated to iTunes 11.0.2 and there has been a change. Now, you see the MOST RECENT season's artwork in both views.

Yep... Noticed this too. Also it seems that my artwork seems to randomly disappear when I start up iTunes after a computer restart. It is random episodes, movies, and album artwork that all of a sudden goes poof for no apparent reason.

Right clicking the movie and selecting get info shows the artwork still there, and when I close the get info window, the artwork will reappear. Annoying.

Please Apple, do 10 minutes of QA before you release these builds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.