iTunes 12.0.1 DRM-deaded my 30" ACD display.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anthonymazzeri, Oct 18, 2014.

1. anthonymazzeri, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

anthonymazzeri macrumors newbie

anthonymazzeri

After the update to Yosemite and iTunes 12.0.1, all my movies and TV shows just show a black screen and don't play at all.

So has this update finally broken my 30" display due to the DRM?

I have a multiple display setup on a Mac Pro, with the only approved Apple DRM display being the 30" ACD. A previous iTunes update a while ago broke the other two monitors in regards iTunes content but the 30" continued to work and play iTunes content as an approved DRM device right up until yesterday.

A google search has only come up with one other instance during the beta testing phase of non-playing video by someone on a newer iMac which was fixed by a update, so I'm hopeful it's just a bug and it'll be fixed. But I just tested the iTunes m4v files with Quicktime and I'm getting the DRM 'can't play' message on the 30" screen now too just like on the other two displays.

2. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Movies that I downloaded from iTunes play fine

Movies and TV shows I have appear to play fine on my ACD 30". I just tried a few. You've made me a little nervous though. Post again if you've solved the problem or if you find out there is one. Most of the movies, TV etc. I have I play through ATV on various TV I have and I rarely watch on my ACD, but I would like to know that I could watch them there.

3. anthonymazzeri, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

anthonymazzeri thread starter macrumors newbie

anthonymazzeri

Thanks for letting me know it's not the actual 30" display hardware then.

Still not working for me. I've tried everything like disconnecting the other displays etc but I'm still getting the dreaded DRM dead black video so something is causing it. I've read somewhere that it's handled by the graphics card so it might be my Radeon HD 7950 card. I don't imagine they can legally just say a device is DRM-okay one day but suddenly not the next, so maybe it's just a v1.0 bug oversight.

I can't be the only one with this card in a Mac Pro tower so maybe like yourself other people just haven't gotten around to updating or even just trying iTunes 12.0.1 on their machines yet.

4. anthonymazzeri thread starter macrumors newbie

anthonymazzeri

iTunes video content won't play

Found the fix posted on the Apple support forums in case anyone else has the same problem.

Which was the presence of an old Display Link driver. If you ever used one of these USB monitor connectors, you'll probably still have the old driver installed like I did so just do a search for Display Link in the finder and the uninstaller will appear at the top of the results. A restart is required and then all is well again with iTunes.