Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
London
iTunes is playing albums backwards, if i hit next song it plays the one before. If i hit back it plays the next song.

Anyone else with this issue?

Last edited:

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
London
Ahhh. You edited the title, previously said version 10.

Try changing some of your sort fields (ascending/descending), I have heard of the problem before and that fixed it.

Yeah it meant to say 12.1.0.50, it was late last night lol

And I've tried that and it works for a little while till you launch iTunes again

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Any solution to this?

I just got a brand new Mac with Yosemite on it. I didn't transfer anything over, but I have iTunes Match so I downloaded everything from the cloud.

But now, all of my albums play in reverse order! The tracks are listed correctly (Ie they show up as being in the correct order in the album) but when I hit Next or when it finishes a song and goes to the next one it's always the previous one on the album! And when I hit the Previous button, it skips ahead to the NEXT track.

Super confused!

Edit: this ONLY happens when playing songs from the Album view. This does not happen when playing playlists.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
London
Erm... iTunes is on version 12.1.2

Sounds like you might need to update the app... Worth a try.

This post was dated February which was the current release for that time, even the latest version does it on two my machines - both had new Yosemite installations. Same issue

Don't happen on 12.0

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Erm... iTunes is on version 12.1.2

Sounds like you might need to update the app... Worth a try.

This post was dated February which was the current release for that time, even the latest version does it on two my machines - both had new Yosemite installations. Same issue

Don't happen on 12.0

Should have mentioned I'm on iTunes 12.1.2 (latest according to Software Update/App Store)

rhvh

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015
I had the same problem, iTunes was playing the next songs of the selected artist in random order, although my album/ songs are well arranged.

For me this was the solution: select Artist (top-right corner), then click on 'sort albums by YEAR', when you click, you see a new menu, then click on 'ascending'. Problem solved.

jcool.

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015
I had the same problem, iTunes was playing the next songs of the selected artist in random order, although my album/ songs are well arranged.

For me this was the solution: select Artist (top-right corner), then click on 'sort albums by YEAR', when you click, you see a new menu, then click on 'ascending'. Problem solved.

THANK YOU. i was looking around everywhere and i couldn't even find the right info from apple forums.

..Andy

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2015
Chicago, IL

Awesome, thanks for this info! I was having the same issue. We should be able to have our albums arranged in "Descending" and there not be an issue.

gabriel193755

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014

Thanks, it just solved my problem.
What a stupid bug.

ryanwolfwins

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
iTunes is playing albums backwards, if i hit next song it plays the one before. If i hit back it plays the next song.

YES! the exact thing is happening to me. I hate this new itunes. Its always on random for some ****ing reason. Then I get that fixed (kinda not really) for an hour or something. It made ever photo a stupid microphone and now it is playing tracks backwards. not happy!
[doublepost=1475063362][/doublepost]

YES! the exact thing is happening to me. I hate this new itunes. Its always on random for some ****ing reason. Then I get that fixed (kinda not really) for an hour or something. It made ever photo a stupid microphone and now it is playing tracks backwards. not happy!

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Hi guys /

I just submitted this as a bug to Apple. Please do the same here so the issue is addressed. We should be able to sort by descending year but still have our songs play in forward order.

matthewp96

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
Orlando
Awesome, thanks for this info! I was having the same issue. We should be able to have our albums arranged in "Descending" and there not be an issue.

Was having this same issue and fixed it the same way and then switched back to "Descending" and it was fine.

illiteratehannah

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2016

YESSSS!! FINALLY, SOMEONE ELSE WITH THE SAME ISSUE!

I updated, and "next" plays the previous song. If I play the first song in the album in the list, it goes to the last song in the list of the last album. "Previous" plays the next song.

I spent about 1 hour screen sharing with an Apple senior associate, who forwarded my issue to engineering because he could not discern why this was happening. With every update, the buttons remain screwed up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.