Resolved iTunes 12.7 App Sideload Workaround

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robbietop, Sep 14, 2017.

1. robbietop macrumors regular

robbietop

I work in telecom and we sometimes test multiple versions of our IMS app, swapping out back and forth.

NOTICE: These apps we are using are NOT on the App Store as they are ALPHA or BETA internal use only for finding bugs and issues with transport/session management/etc.

I can't do my job anymore, as the App Store updated iTunes auto. And while I am using an older version of iTunes I found on the web, I really am worried that one day it'll stop functioning.

What is a long term solution to someone who needs to add an app that is NOT in the App Store to an iPhone/iPad?

2. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

Drag the .ipa file from Finder over the sidebar once you have the phone open in iTunes ready to sync/backup. That's how I did it in 12.6 and it hasn't changed.

3. robbietop thread starter macrumors regular

robbietop

I did that and it shows a + symbol in green but when I release nothing happens. Nothing changes on the device.

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

For my company, I use both the Server app and (likely more helpful to you?) Apple Configurator. With the latter, I sideload our custom apps QED. Configurator has online help and instructions - here's the relevant section for loading apps:
    http://help.apple.com/configurator/mac/2.3/#/cad525c10b6 (I have it bookmarked…).

5. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

I just tried it and when I clicked "sync" it copied the app over. Or maybe it did it automatically as I actually clicked sync as soon as I'd dragged the .ipa file over and "dropped" it there.

6. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

You are not alone on this one. I'm running Sierra with iTunes 10.4.1, because it just works, and am very concerned about the upcoming High Sierra debut. It's time for some serious backup before I install that beast!

7. robbietop thread starter macrumors regular

robbietop

Thanks!

This is a great help!

8. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Thank you! I was getting ready to nuke my iTunes installation and try to downgrade.