iTunes 12: All the little things!

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by redpandadev, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. redpandadev, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by w0lf: Jul 26, 2014

redpandadev macrumors member

I thought that iTunes 12 deserved its own "all the little things" thread so as to not clutter up the OS thread.

From the OS thread:
    • Redesigned UI Photo
    • New icon Photo
    • Sidebar moved to playlist view
    • New Get Info window Photo
    • iTunes Store doesn't get a standalone section anymore
    • New button on the toolbar to access your iTunes account
    • New button location to access content, Music, TV, Videos etc.

2. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

3. redpandadev thread starter macrumors member

I started just by copy pasting what had been posted so far from the OS "All the little things" thread. This is a wiki post, so feel free to edit if you'd like.

4. BruceA macrumors newbie

Major change to the Get Info window. It's nice looking, but missing some detail. Maybe I just have to get used to it.

5. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

Is it me or did they complete remove the button that switches the full-sized player to mini player that used to be next to the fullscreen button on the top right side?

Are the only ways to switch to mini using the keyboard shortcut and menu shortcut now?

6. BruceA macrumors newbie

No, it has gone. I hope they put it back in the next update!

7. Prodo123, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014

Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Tagging was made extremely annoying, with Album Artist, Comments, Composer, Grouping and Disk all hidden by default unless already filled out.

I don't know about you but about half of my 300GB library depends on the Album Artist, Grouping, Composer and Disk fields.

8. buddster macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, they removed the View Duplicates option. Hopefully, they bring this one back too.

9. haydn! macrumors 6502a

I guess this is just a re-skin and not a re-write? Meaning it's still bloated and sluggish?

10. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Clicking the album art on the top opens the mini player, but does not close the full-sized player.

11. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

I see, that's strange. Thanks for the tip

12. bushido Suspended

bushido

how do u bring it back then and dont tell me to click on playlists. thats not the same

13. thomaskyhn macrumors member

iTunes doesn't remember view settings. I always set it to Music > Playlists; on the next launch it always reverts to Music > My Music.

14. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Well, that's the closest thing we're gonna get to the iTunes 10 sidebar. :(

This has also been the case in iTunes 11.

Actually, this option was so prone to picking more non-duplicates than duplicates that I'm glad Apple took it out.

15. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Can't watch podcasts. Pop up says This movie requires QuickTime, which is not supported by this version of iTunes.

Mini icon navigation is really annoying. Takes so many more clicks to get to places.

16. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Maybe this implies Apple is discontinuing support for QuickTime 7.

17. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

We are at Quicktime 10.

18. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Quicktime 7 is a product in itself and completely different from Quicktime X.

X is a patheic cut down Quicktime with an awful interface that has some useful screen recording features.

7 (with a cheap enough registration) allows editing and export options that X has never caught up with.

19. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

I don't have quicktime 7 so it's refusing to play with X.

20. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I'm really annoyed at the loss of the green yellow and red buttons on the mini player that started with iTunes 11. I see no reason for this change, and it's made the mini player behavior inconsistent with all other OS X windows.

Now, the green button on the full pane iTunes sends it to full display mode. Why would that be more popular than launching the mini player? Who does that?

Before it made more sense, the green button toggled back and forth between mini player and larger window, yellow sent it to the tool tray, and red killed it. Now I have to use a drop down menu to launch the mini player!!

It's annoying enough to the point I may revert to iTunes 10.7 once Yosemite alpha is released.

Presuming my music won't get lost or revert to DRM.

21. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Urgh. This update has been frustrating. Overall in the visual department the new look is certainly great and fits with the rest of Yosemite. But they pretty much threw out practicality. Especially music playback is a pain in the neck.

22. hoodedwarbler12 macrumors regular

Am I the only one who can't find the repeat icon and function anywhere? How do I put a song on repeat now?

23. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Right-click on the iTunes icon, and there's a repeat function there...

24. Huck macrumors newbie

I can't seem to edit track numbers in iTunes 12. Invoking Get Info allows me to adjust song names, album, artist, etc. but track number is inaccessible. Is there some workaround I'm not seeing? Thanks!

25. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

When I get info, under Details it shows track x of y, clicking on either produces an edit box where I can change the numbers...

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.