Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Just wondering what your work around is since iTunes 12 has removed the ability to sync local Aperture photos and your iDevice. I guess we're supposed to send everything to the Cloud now by making Photo Streams? I don't know if iPhoto has updates to it to make syncing easier but Aperture definitely does not have any updates in regards to this workflow while we wait for the new Photos app.

Also, my iPhone has all the stuff I synced locally from before the upgrade. I'm glad they're still there but now there's no way to remove them.

I don't really want to pay $15 for iPhoto since it's going to be dead but if there are sync options available there, I'd love to know.

Thanks!!

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
Just wondering what your work around is since iTunes 12 has removed the ability to sync local Aperture photos and your iDevice. I guess we're supposed to send everything to the Cloud now by making Photo Streams? I don't know if iPhoto has updates to it to make syncing easier but Aperture definitely does not have any updates in regards to this workflow while we wait for the new Photos app.

Also, my iPhone has all the stuff I synced locally from before the upgrade. I'm glad they're still there but now there's no way to remove them.

I don't really want to pay $15 for iPhoto since it's going to be dead but if there are sync options available there, I'd love to know.

Thanks!!

Aperture is no longer supported by Apple it is discontinued software

http://scottkelby.com/2014/breaking-news-apple-confirms-that-aperture-is-discontinued/

They will be releasing an app either built in or from the Mac App Store called photos

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Aperture is no longer supported by Apple it is discontinued software

http://scottkelby.com/2014/breaking-news-apple-confirms-that-aperture-is-discontinued/

They will be releasing an app either built in or from the Mac App Store called photos

I'm very much aware of all of this but it will be supported in the sense that Apple will allow it to work on Yosemite for the time being for those who already have it. They just won't be making any feature enhancements or developing it further to compete with Pro programs like Lightroom & CaptureOne.

My question still really hasn't been answered. I'm asking folks who do have it what their current work around is. How do you remove the photo albums that were previously synced since those options have been removed from iTunes?

If you have iPhoto, did Apple send an update? There has to be some plan between now and the release of Photos for at least iPhoto users, no? Because that's technically dead now too.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
I'm very much aware of all of this but it will be supported in the sense that Apple will allow it to work on Yosemite for the time being for those who already have it. They just won't be making any feature enhancements or developing it further to compete with Pro programs like Lightroom & CaptureOne.

My question still really hasn't been answered. I'm asking folks who do have it what their current work around is. How do you remove the photo albums that were previously synced since those options have been removed from iTunes?

If you have iPhoto, did Apple send an update? There has to be some plan between now and the release of Photos for at least iPhoto users, no? Because that's technically dead now too.

Send me a screenshot with you doing this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406404424.126142.jpg

So I can see

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
There doesn't seem to be a way to delete the albums that were previously locally synced. I've already sent feedback to Apple for it.

FYI...I'm actually quite savvy around my Mac/iPhone and many of Apple's services. ;)

IMG_0035.PNG

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Did you go into iTunes 12 - Then Devices - then select your Device - then select Photos - then stop the Sync with the Device. I assume that would remove them from the Device.

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Did you go into iTunes 12 - Then Devices - then select your Device - then select Photos - then stop the Sync with the Device. I assume that would remove them from the Device.

Definitely. As I stated above, these options are gone.

Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 4.37.43 PM.png

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Sorry. Maybe I misunderstood the problem. I did not turn on iCloud Photo Library so maybe that is the difference. In my case my settings for my iTunes Sync with my iPhone (and iPad's) are exactly the same. Mine says I can Sync my entire iPhoto Library Or Pictures and either Events or Folders. Same as before.

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Sorry. Maybe I misunderstood the problem. I did not turn on iCloud Photo Library so maybe that is the difference. In my case my settings for my iTunes Sync with my iPhone (and iPad's) are exactly the same. Mine says I can Sync my entire iPhoto Library Or Pictures and either Events or Folders. Same as before.

I see what happened now. In Mavericks, I automatically synced my Photo Stream in Aperture. On update, I had explicitly not turned on iCloud photo in Yosemite or my iDevices on iOS8. But then Aperture would no longer sync w/ Photo Stream. So I ended up having to turn it on in Yosemite which led to turning it on on my iDevices. I don't remember doing that (because I know I didn't want to deal with it yet) but I must have, I suppose.

So keeping iCloud Photos on in Yosemite to maintain Aperture Photo Stream sync but turning it off on iDevices did the trick. Local sync is back. Whew.

Thanks for helping work through that!

Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 5.05.00 PM.png

nog00der

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2013
I see what happened now. In Mavericks, I automatically synced my Photo Stream in Aperture. On update, I had explicitly not turned on iCloud photo in Yosemite or my iDevices on iOS8. But then Aperture would no longer sync w/ Photo Stream. So I ended up having to turn it on in Yosemite which led to turning it on on my iDevices. I don't remember doing that (because I know I didn't want to deal with it yet) but I must have, I suppose.

So keeping iCloud Photos on in Yosemite to maintain Aperture Photo Stream sync but turning it off on iDevices did the trick. Local sync is back. Whew.

Thanks for helping work through that!

View attachment 482479

dang! i was totally stumped until i came across this thread! thanks for figuring it out for me.

guru59

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2015
dang! i was totally stumped until i came across this thread! thanks for figuring it out for me.

I just posted a thread about the same issue. I cannot sync my 2015 Aperture photo stream, only 2014. The 2015 stream does not even come up when my phone is connected to my mac. Just wiped my phone but cannot get the pics back. I also downloaded them to iPhoto on mac but I have to sync the entire library which now costs money (not enough space on iCloud) and I do not need the entire library. Really only want the last 6-8 months from this year.

Thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.