Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
On previous versions of iTunes, there was an AirPlay symbol next to the volume bar whenever it detected an AirPlay device on the network.

If you toggled this AirPlay button to ON, then it would output songs from iTunes to the AirPlay device, but anything else from the laptop eg. Youtube videos/VLC video files etc. would still play on the laptop.

In essence, this AirPlay button was for iTunes music ONLY. It was independent of the Mac AirPlay functionality (by alt-clicking on the volume icon in the top menu).

In iTunes 12, the AirPlay icon is not present unless you toggle the MAC airplay function to ON, in which case it appears and tells you which device to output to. But this is annoying since you don't always want EVERYTHING to output to the airplay device, as sometimes there is lag between audio and video eg. with Youtube videos.

Any way to get this INDEPENDENT iTunes AirPlay function back?

myname70

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2014
On previous versions of iTunes, there was an AirPlay symbol next to the volume bar whenever it detected an AirPlay device on the network.

If you toggled this AirPlay button to ON, then it would output songs from iTunes to the AirPlay device, but anything else from the laptop eg. Youtube videos/VLC video files etc. would still play on the laptop.

In essence, this AirPlay button was for iTunes music ONLY. It was independent of the Mac AirPlay functionality (by alt-clicking on the volume icon in the top menu).

In iTunes 12, the AirPlay icon is not present unless you toggle the MAC airplay function to ON, in which case it appears and tells you which device to output to. But this is annoying since you don't always want EVERYTHING to output to the airplay device, as sometimes there is lag between audio and video eg. with Youtube videos.

Any way to get this INDEPENDENT iTunes AirPlay function back?

Hm... it is there .. see pictures.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 22.25.57.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 22.25.57.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 92

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
It is only appearing for me when I connect my MAC airplay to a device. If the sound output is through the Mac, then it disappears.

Are you sure you're not connected to an airplay device there?

If not, I have no idea what's wrong!

myname70

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2014
It is only appearing for me when I connect my MAC airplay to a device. If the sound output is through the Mac, then it disappears.

Are you sure you're not connected to an airplay device there?

If not, I have no idea what's wrong!

I am not connected now.. But what AirPlay devise do you have in the LAN? I have AppleTV and Denon AVR. Both are shown . But if I start movie on iTunes - the Denon AVR disappears (because it is only capable to play sound) and AppleTV is visible. If I start playing music - both are still there.. And when choosing appleTV - it shows only the movie, not the whole screen mirroring

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 22.33.56.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 22.33.56.png
    27 KB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 22.34.17.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 22.34.17.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 22.34.34.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 22.34.34.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 22.34.51.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 22.34.51.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 85

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I have a Bowers and Wilkins A5 speaker that I want to just play my iTunes stuff, but not other stuff like youtube/videos etc.

Worked perfectly as I described earlier in iTunes 11, and now the only way I can toggle airplay is via the alt-clicking the volume icon. Very annoying that I now have to toggle between airplay/mac when I switch from iTunes to youtube, back to iTunes, to video etc!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.