iTunes 12 Won't Allow Blank Spaces After Titles?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kermit-the-frog, Nov 15, 2014.

1. kermit-the-frog macrumors newbie

This might sound silly, but being able to add a blank space after an album title or artist's name in iTunes is essential for me.

If I have several albums titled 'Greatest Hits' by different artists, I just add spaces after the title so that iTunes and my Classic iPod differentiate between them and don't group them together -

eg.
    Skepta - Greatest Hits|
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Greatest Hits |

Since Yosemite and iTunes 12, all previously amended titles and artist names retain these 'spaces' at the end. However, if I download or burn a new album and need to add spaces, iTunes keeps auto-correcting and is refusing to allow it.

Obviously, I could just change the 'Sort As' field and start labelling them with full stops instead of spaces at the end. However, while iTunes will then recognise that I want to view them separately, my iPod won't...

Does anyone know of a script or a way to force iTunes to accept a blank space at the end of an artist name/album title? I tried amending the 'Album' folder in my Music folder, but this doesn't seem to follow through to iTunes itself.

I have a MacBook Pro (OSX Yosemite 10.10) and iTunes 12.0.1.26

Any help will be greatly appreciated as this issue is driving me crazy!

2. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 6502a

If you used the Album Artist then it won't group them together either. No need for these kind of work arounds at all.

3. kermit-the-frog thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply - unfortunately, this will only separate them in iTunes Album View - the iPod still combines all albums with the same title into one tile. The only way to separate them traditionally is to add the 'space' at the end (an 'invisible' character so that the iPod recognises them as separate entities).

Keeping my fingers crossed that a script appears to force iTunes to accept what you enter, without auto-correcting. All the more frustrating as this only became an issue with the newest version...

4. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 6502a

How remarkable. It works for me, on the old Photo iPod, the iPod Nano, every generation of iPhone, and in iTunes....