iTunes 13001 error syncing music

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by edmartin, Jul 20, 2009.

  1. edmartin macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2007
    #1
    I can not get iTunes music to sync to my iPhone 3G.

    I have iTunes 8.2.1 and firmware 3.0 on my iPhone. Leopard 10.5.6.

    I have tried a number of things:

    - Uninstalling & re-installing iTunes
    - Resetting iSync data
    - Deleting and re-importing my iTunes library
    - Automatic music syncing as well as "Manually manage music and videos" (drag and drop)
    - Various music selections (in other words, it's not failing on a particular song/music track or playlist)
    - Restoring my iPhone (with & without restoring the backup)
    - Syncing the iPhone on another computer (it syncs fine over there so I think I've ruled out that the issue is the iPhone)

    The symptoms are this: I can sync apps & video to the iPhone with no issues. But when I try to sync music, it runs through the process ("syncing x of y") but when it gets to the end, it results in "An unknown error occurred (13001)" error from iTunes.

    On the Summary screen in iTunes, I see the music taking up space but when I look on the iPhone, it shows no music content (apps & video are there).

    If I try the "manually manage music & videos" option, I can drag 2 songs to the iPhone but when I try to do a third, I get the same 13001 error.

    There's obviously something that happens at the end of the iTunes music sync that (for lack of a better description) writes the file/music directory. That's where it fails.

    I've searched for solutions for a couple of days. I can't seem to find anything.

    Please help!!!???
     
  2. edmartin thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2007
    #2
    Solved!

    Solved!

    I thought I would post this for others' benefit - it was a weird one.

    Even though I was able to copy the entire music library to another Mac and sync it to the same iPhone with no problem, the more I kept experimenting on the machine with the problem, the more I narrowed it down that it looked like an incompatibility (or corruption) with a file or files. So, I added columns to display the Bit Rate and Sample Rate. Then, by sorting those columns and syncing combinations until it broke, I worked my way through looking for an offender.

    It ended up being Sample Rate. For whatever reason, any music file with a Sample Rate over 44.1 kHz (so 48 kHz) would cause the 13001 error (thanks for being so descriptive, by the way, Apple!). So, I just converted the few songs that my daughter had that were 48 kHz down to 44.1 kHz and no more 13001 error syncing music!

    I hope this info can help someone some day. It drove me nuts!
     
  3. darkredbbb macrumors newbie

    darkredbbb

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Location:
    Lebanon
    #3
    Thank you so much for the solution you have posted, I deleted all the songs with a 48 kHz sample rate, and now I can sync my iPod music :)
     

Share This Page