iTunes 2 Issues!

#Johnny5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2001
I've been an iTunes user since the first day I used it, which says a lot, because I was a hardcore Audion user before that. I got into the mp3 game a long time before the modern days of Napster and Morpheus, so I've gone through a lot of different players. I love the organizational features and simplicity of the iTunes. It is simply the best mp3 player I've ever seen or used on any platform. There have always been a few things that bothered me about it, however, and I was hoping Apple would fix them in their release of v2.0. Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed to find that none of the features I was really waiting for were included in this new release. So here's my gripes:

1.) Why can't I use the search function while I'm within a genre or artist if I can use it within playlists? If I've got a Genre/Artist selected, I should be able to type text in the search box to limit the files displayed to those in that Genre/Artist. iTunes resets back to selecting all Genres/Artists when I start typing in the search box.

2.) When I heard v2.0 would have audio fading, I was very excited. This is something I missed from Audion. To my dismay, the function didn't work at all like I thought it would. I need to be able to select different fades between each track (have you ever used "Adaptec Jam"?) This would be one feature that would push me over the edge to use iTunes for CD burning!

3.) Bass & Treble controls. This one is pretty basic. I know, we've got the EQ now, but basic sound controls help a lot, too! Bring back some of the other options of SoundJam, too! I mean, if Apple's gonna buy it out, they should incorporate more of the options from it.

4.) Exportable playlists. I know, I can export a text file, but what about separate platlists like most other mp3 player apps have? Just add an import & export option. Also, if iTunes can't locate a file, it could give an option to search your computer for it, rather than asking you to locate it manually. This would help when entire playlists have lost their links.

iTunes is a great app, but it still has needs some tweaking. After upgrading to v2.0 (OS 9.2.1), I downgraded back to v1.1, because I didn't really use any of the new features, and v2.0 kept locking up my computer. Something my mp3 player app should NEVER do!!

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Mac OS 9.2.1 is very unstable for me it wouldn't run AppleWorks 6 or the DVD player I would blame Mac OS 9.2.1 on the crashs. The only reason why I have 9.2.1 is so classic will start up faster, other wise it makes me sick. My point is blame 9.2.1 for your iTunes' crashs

#Johnny5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2001
Not much of a choice

Well, since iTunes only runs in OS 9.2.1 and 10.1, I really don't have much of a choice. I've been fighting with OS X ever since I got my mac. It's just such a pain in the ass! I don't think Apple did nearly as good of a job as they could have. So much stuff is so finiky - it's just a pain to use, and it takes my twice as long to do anything as OS9 did. But that's not the point of this thread, so I'll shut up now.

Newton-Man

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2001
Scammonden, UK
Not the point of the thread but I will continue...

I have been useing Mac OS X.1 on my Powerbook667 and 733QS for a few weeks now with OS 9.21 and iTunes2 (From hlsearch.com)

I LOVE IT!!!

Guy

MrMartini

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2001
PowerBook 3400 and iTunes, a dream...

Just downloaded iTunes and I love it. No problems with it. Love the equalizer, make these little tiny speakers sound so much better. The visuals don't work well, but that has more to do with my 200mhz processor.

In the end iTunes works wonders with 9.1, even on an old 3400.

GO ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS!!!! WELCOME TO THE DESERT NEW YORK, YOU'RE GONNA DIE!!!!!!

Timbuktu

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2001
Apple claims that iTunes 2 can display multiple languages using unicode, including Chinese. It doesn't work on mine. But then I'm using OS 9.0.4. That's probably the reason. Does it work for any of you using OS 9.1 or OS 9.2.1 or OS X?