iTunes: 2 Macs, 1.5 "Shared" Libraries?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by majordude, Jun 21, 2012.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I don't know if this is possible.

I have an iMac. I have an awesome iTunes music library and a bunch of apps. I have an iPhone and an iPad I sync to it.

I am getting an Air.

I don't want all my music on my Air (smaller "disk"). So I want to just copy some of my albums from my iMac to my Air.

So far so good I think.

But if I am on the road and want to sync purchases and some music to my iPhone or iPad, can I have my Air sync with them? A friend thought "yes" as long as both computers use the same Apple account. Is this true?

2. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

I think you should be able to download your purchases on either your iPhone or your iPad independent of having to plug it into your Air. However, I think it's only possible to sync your iPhone/iPad to one computer at a time, so I don't think you can additionally sync them with the Air

3. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Maybe with iCloud. I personally have an aversion to cloud storage, though, so I prefer to keep my stuff offline - never know when I'll need them.

iDevices can only sync with one computer at all times. If you sync up with your MBA you'll end up resetting your iPhone and/or iPad before you can put anything new on them.