Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
You may have heard from me the following over the last few years: "iTunes 4.0 is the only version of iTunes that was capable of streaming shared music libraries over the internet."

Once, a long time ago I had iTunes 4.0 set up on my TiBook at home and on the G5 at work. To stream your shared music over the internet you had to be using the EXACT same version on each Mac.

But then you need iTunes to sync phones and things became complicated and new features and blah, blah, blah.

Well, with the demise of Google Music I moved my entire library to my MBP. But I did leave a copy on my PowerBook.

Tonight I decided that iTunes on the G5 and my PowerBook don't matter any more because I am now only using them to play music. So, I set this up again.

As you can see my PowerBook is tethered to my iPad (to get an outside IP address) and is streaming my shared library from my G5 over the internet.

All you have to do is open port 3689 UDP and TCP in your router.

Keep track of your router's WAN IP address and you can connect anywhere in the world and stream your music - as long as you're using iTunes 4.0. :D

BTW, 4.1 was a very quick upgrade and that's when Apple canceled sharing libraries over the internet.

2017-01-19 21.28.24.jpg
2017-01-19 21.29.45.jpg
iTunes PowerBook.png
iTunes G5.png

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
Very very interesting. Could it work also with a windows pc (maybe there's iTunes 4.0 for windows)? I ask you that because I do have only a Mac, a PowerMac G4 MDD. Is there a way to listen my shared music on my phone too?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Very very interesting. Could it work also with a windows pc (maybe there's iTunes 4.0 for windows)? I ask you that because I do have only a Mac, a PowerMac G4 MDD. Is there a way to listen my shared music on my phone too?
I don't think so. According to what I am reading the first version to support Windows was iTunes 4.1. Even if there was a 4.0 for iTunes for Windows I wouldn't know if that supported streaming over the internet.

And that's the catch-22. This is an all or nothing proposition. iTunes or apps that can leverage it on iDevices need to be on WiFi (so you are on the same network) before sharing will be recognized. I don't believe modern versions of iTunes will pickup the sharing from 4.0 and if they don't they probably can't talk to each other. But at the point that you are sharing over WiFi, it defeats the reason for 4.0. Just go back to your regular version of iTunes at that point.

For me, on my PowerPC Macs now, since this is just a copy of my music library I can afford to do this with 4.0 because I don't use iTunes for anything else. The main library exists on my MBP so anything I have to do with that is deal with there.

Reactions: G4fanboy

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Very cool! Is there a way to listen to this shared music on an iPhone?
No way that I know of.

I know that iTunes on my Mac Pro at work sees that there is a shared library running on my PowerBook (I took it to work today) but I don't think it loads it. I tried using the Music app on my iPhone 5 which is WiFi only so therefore on the same network and the shared library never showed up.

Have to remember that iTunes 4.0 was April 2003.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
After some looking, I can't seem to find a download anywhere for 4.0. Can you point me in the right direction?

Edit: Apparently I didn't look hard enough...

Would you be able to give a good step by step direction on how to connect to the iTunes 4.0 from another outside internet iTunes 4.0? I kind of understand what's going on here, but it's still a little fuzzy for me. :)

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
After some looking, I can't seem to find a download anywhere for 4.0. Can you point me in the right direction?

Edit: Apparently I didn't look hard enough...

Would you be able to give a good step by step direction on how to connect to the iTunes 4.0 from another outside internet iTunes 4.0? I kind of understand what's going on here, but it's still a little fuzzy for me. :)

New Link to iTunes 4.0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hmag72m6p9hvt6/iTunes 4.0.app.zip?dl=0

Sorry. Here is where I got it: http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/osx-updates/iTunes/

You can explore this site. It's a publicly available university FTP site in Australia. They have almost EVERYTHING archived here.

I downloaded this file: iTunes_4.0.0_Mac_OS_X.dmg.bin

Remove the .bin from the end of the filename and then just open the DMG. It's not compressed, they just named it that way.

The other file marked 4.0 is actually 4.8 which won't work.

You need to open ports 3689 UDP and TCP on your router and point them to the private IP address of the Mac that will be sharing your music. Here's what it looks like on my router (192.168.0.118 is the private IP of my G5).

DI-604.png

Then just use 4.0 on the Mac you want to share the library from and 4.0 on the Mac you want to access the library.

With the Mac that you want to access the shared libary open 4.0, and then press CMD+K (just like if you were connecting to a server). There will be an empty box that pops up. Type in the IP address (the WAN IP) of the Mac sharing the music and you'll access the shared library. Play as normal.

iTunes.png

That's it.

One thing to keep in mind however! I do NOT suggest using 4.0 if you intend to still use any other version of iTunes. Remove the old iTunes and put it somewhere else.

4.0 cannot read your current iTunes database. You'll have to remove that somewhere and then have 4.0 reimport the songs.

Once done, do not open the newer version of iTunes. It will update the database and 4.0 won't be able to read it again.

So, again, I don't suggest this if you are going to be using any other version than 4.0.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Also, if you use iTunes for digital radio at all version 4, won't work. You'll need to find the direct stream URL for your favorite station(s) and connect to it (CMD+U) inside iTunes 4.

However! The good thing is that once you enter a stream, iTunes remembers it. The stream will be listed alphabetically in your Library.

Last edited:

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain
I have iTunes 4.0.1 from Panther and works on Leo. It says 4.0 but on about itunes it says 4.0.1

Erik, can you publish some hard rock/classic rock streams?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I have iTunes 4.0.1 from Panther and works on Leo. It says 4.0 but on about itunes it says 4.0.1

Erik, can you publish some hard rock/classic rock streams?
You wouldn't be able to see my shared library even if you knew my WAN IP. The "About iTunes" needs to say 4.0. 4.0.1 was the update that removed sharing over the internet. Hence, why ONLY 4.0 has this feature.

Get 4.0 here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hmag72m6p9hvt6/iTunes 4.0.app.zip?dl=0
http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/osx-updates/iTunes/

Download this file: iTunes_4.0.0_Mac_OS_X.dmg.bin and then remove the .bin from the end and open as a normal DMG. If you use Pacifist you can get the app out without running the installer package.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I were asking for radio station streams, not to YOUR iTunes library...

Thanks for the 4.0 link!
OHHHHHH!!!!! Sorry! :D

Hmmmm. Usually the only radio I stream is a SomaFM station called DroneZone.

Here's a link to their Metal station though: http://somafm.com/metal/directstreamlinks.html

About the only other thing I can suggest is using a Mac with a newer version of iTunes, finding a station you like through the radio option and then Googling it's live stream.

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
"with the demise of Google Music"

What are you referring to, out of curiosity? Did I miss something?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
"with the demise of Google Music"

What are you referring to, out of curiosity? Did I miss something?
Well, have a seat! :D

Way back when, Google Music was in beta. Because I had a gmail address they sent me an invite. So, I joined because the way this works is that Google Music will push your music library to it's cloud. Back then it was compatible with PowerPC.

So, my entire iTunes library (and playlists) got pushed up to their cloud. Any time I deleted or added music or changed playlists in iTunes it reflected to Google Music.

This all worked until about September 2014 or so. I had made a Fluid app so I could play my musc from Google on any of my Macs that did not have my library on it. But after this date it broke.

Any time I go to the Google Music site in any browser on a PowerPC Mac all I get is a white page. Google did something that broke things. Either it's writing code that the old Flash plugin can no longer understand or it somehow detects hardware and prevents playback.

The only browser I can get it to work on at home is Chrome on my MBP. At some point Google also broke the ability to flip the switch from Flash to HTML5 so I cannot even view it that way.

The System Preference and app that worked together to push my content back and forth from iTunes and Google stopped working on my PowerPC Mac as well. This forced me to have to move the main copy to my MBP.

Which is why since the copy of my music library on my G5 is no longer the one I update I went back to iTunes 4 so I can access that library anywhere using my PowerPC Macs.

Google has an iOS app for music as well. I use it on my iPhone and iPad to stream my library. I have over 10GB of music and none of it exists on my iPad or iPhone. But because of the way Google works this I have access to all of it on those devices.

Just not my PowerPC Macs anymore.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Connected at work to G3 Server at home. Connected to JLabs headset via Bluetooth.

Streaming iTunes over the internet from server through BT headset. Oh yeah. While the PowerBook backs up over the internet to the RAID connected to the G3 Server. :)

iTunes 4.0! :D

2018-01-17 08.44.01.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Things were so much simpler back then. :)
Version 4.0 is the ONLY version that allows you to stream over the internet. One of the reasons I use it now for my PowerPC Macs as my library is mature (meaning I don't add to it much).

iTunes 4.0.1, which was released less than 2 months after 4.0 killed the internet streaming option for good.

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
i've got a cd or dvd somewhere that has itunes 4.0 on it. i think it's an old ilife dvd but maybe it's an old operating system disc. since i'm not interested in streaming from one computer to another i've never explored this. if i'm away from my library and i want to listen to some music i just use an old ipod.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
i've got a cd or dvd somewhere that has itunes 4.0 on it. i think it's an old ilife dvd but maybe it's an old operating system disc. since i'm not interested in streaming from one computer to another i've never explored this. if i'm away from my library and i want to listen to some music i just use an old ipod.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hmag72m6p9hvt6/iTunes 4.0.app.zip?dl=0

http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/osx-updates/iTunes/

I used to have an iPod, but it was 8GB and then the clickwheel broke.

All my music is in Google Play anyway and as Google Play synced with iTunes anything I add or take away is synced to Google Play.

So, I can listen on any device.

But, for the purposes of using iTunes I copied my library to my server and have iTunes running in the background. I figure that I have a server…it should be serving. Other than just files.

I used to do this using my Quad, but since I got the server up I moved it there since serving is all it's supposed to be doing. Whereas with my Quad I do other things.

Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
No password required to connect? Can a remote user write to/delete from the shared library?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
No password required to connect? Can a remote user write to/delete from the shared library?
No password is required.

But as explained in the first post you have to open the specific ports and you have to know the external IP address of your router. And the router has to be set to port forward to the computer sharing the library.

As far as add/delete, it's just streaming. The only way to impact the shared library is to use the computer sharing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AphoticD

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Connected to my G3 B&W server and streaming it's iTunes library (located on my 2TB RAID) to my Quad using iTunes 4.0.

Did I mention that the library on the RAID is also accessed by my MBP and my Thinkpad? Oh yes, in another thread. :D

2019-03-21 21.21.27.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.