Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MXDT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Any one else have iTunes crashing/locking up their system?

It usually happens when trying to quite iTunes. It just doesn't quite. and eventually the entire system hangs cause iTunes doesn't respond. Then I'll have to do a hard reboot by holding the power button down.

AuPhalanx

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2004
Wilkes-Barre, PA
MXDT!

That just happened to me last nite. The only difference is that it hung when I started it. EVerything else worked fine, but iTunes would not open. It showed the arrow in the dock; it showed the iTunes icon I would cmd-tab; amd it even showed as running when I checked the process viewer. Alas! It was NOT open, though. Force-quitting did nothing and when I went to restart, the system hung. I, too, had to do a hard reboot.

I noticed that my iPod, while not syncing or anything, was connected via firewire to my Mac, which is a 1.5-MHz 15" PB. Was your iPod connected to your Mac? Perhaps that is the common thread that connects our issues.

Hopefully, these were just one-time system farts and nothing more. All the best!

Have fun... Tony.

MXDT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
I can't recall if my iPod was connected every time it happened, the last time it was connected though... I'll keep an eye out for that... as I'm sure it will happen again just as it has been.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
FWIW...

I just bought an ipod shuffle over the weekend and upgraded from itunes 4.6 to 4.7.1 ( to get shuffle functionality). After restart, with the shuffle plugged in, Itunes quit while uploading a playlist, then hung on restart, which rippled to hanging the Finder.

After hard restart, I repaired permissions via disk utility, and at the end an itunes-related permission error was corrected. No problems since.

Moral: repair permissions.

AuPhalanx

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2004
Wilkes-Barre, PA
blackfox!

That may be just what I have to do. I don't think I repaired permissions since the 4.7.1 upgrade of iTunes. Damn pesky permissions! :p

Have fun... Tony.

MXDT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
My permissions have been repaired... both before and after... :confused:

AuPhalanx

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2004
Wilkes-Barre, PA
MXDT!

Perhaps you may need to reinstall iTunes. Did you scrap your preference files? When I encounter "system farts", I like to run OnyX and let it do its thing. After a shutdown and a reboot, things get back to normal.

Have fun... Tony.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.