iTunes 4.9 erases playlists?

NatronB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
So I installed iTunes 4.9 onto my machine and I was shocked that when I rebooted my machine my playlists were gone. Thankfully I have another system and music library on my external HD. When I startup from that drive, I get my old playlists (under iTunes 4.8). Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks in advance,

-Nate

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I didn't have a problem.

Did it create a Previous iTunes Library file or something to similar effect though? There have been problems of updating iTunes and getting a new data file which in effect deletes playlists and settings but can be fixed by ditching the new file and renaming the old one to what the new one was called. :)

NatronB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
iTunes 4.9....

What? Where does this new file reside?

Thanks,

-Nate

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
There might not necessarily be a new file but for the record, it'd be found at Music/iTunes, I'm assuming.

I just checked mine and the update created a "Previous Library" folder within which was the "Previous iTunes Library". I'm guessing that if you rename this (take out "Previous" and put it in the Music/iTunes folder, you'll get your playlists back. :)

Cvstos

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2004
I had the same problem, but it was rather trivial to re-import everything. I did need to re-create my playlists, but the only one I listen to with any regularity was my Drive Mix, and it was past due for some freshening.