iTunes 4 and Mac OS X Tiger unauthorized

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by retta283, May 15, 2019.

1. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

I am using iTunes 4 on my PowerBook G4 running Tiger. However when I try to play a song I've purchased from iTunes it tells me "This computer is not authorized to play songs purchased by this account" (Not exact message but close) Is there any way to spoof the authorization, or a hack to install? I don't think you can still authorize such an old version, and even then I have used all 5 of my computer slots.

2. retta283 thread starter macrumors 6502a

retta283

Anyone have an idea of what to do? Don't want to update because I use the 2005 iLife suite and I like the brushed metal consistency. iTunes 4 also seems much faster than 5 or 6.

3. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

Do you have another Mac with a newer version that can play them? From there you'll need an app to re-record them to MP3 in real time - that's what I had to do years ago.

4. retta283 thread starter macrumors 6502a

retta283

I think QuickTime Pro used to have a function like this. I'll have to check when I can get to the machine that has QT Pro installed. iTunes 5 and later allow you to play purchased songs on unauthorized computers.

5. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

It's worth checking if there is any software around now that can convert DRM files to MP3 - back then there certainly wasn't - mine took days to complete!
    Audio Hijack and Audacity should be good for it - I'll upload it if you can't find a copy.

6. retta283 thread starter macrumors 6502a

retta283

Checked Audacity's site, and they actually still link to a version for Tiger. I'll mess with it when I get the time, probably later tonight. Thanks for the help, I will get back to you on my findings.

7. retta283 thread starter macrumors 6502a

retta283

Seems like Audacity for Tiger can't handle AAC files. Tells me it needs to be converted before it can work on it. Not sure if/where a converter is in Audacity. I know of a few sites that do this, but not sure of quality degradation.
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2019 ---
    I feel like a fool right now... Just figured out you can do this right within iTunes 12. Just change your import setting to MP3 and create a new version. It strips the DRM and seems to have good quality.

8. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

You misunderstood what I meant - I meant play the DRM files in iTunes on another Mac and direct the audio to Audacity with Audio Hijack to record to MP3. However, with conversion in iTunes 12 you've just saved yourself a lot of time :)

9. z970mp macrumors 65816

z970mp

While we're here, does anyone know how to take out FairPlay from an iTunes movie without paying for expensive specialty software?

10. retta283 thread starter macrumors 6502a

retta283

Ah, I got it. Never used Audacity before so I didn't know that was its function. Seems like the feature in iTunes works in every version past 4. I tried it in 4 and it came up with the same stuff as before. At least it works on my iMac. Took me only a few minutes to convert everything I wanted.