Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flat6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
Is this a real screenshot? "itunes5smallalbums.jpg"

If it isn't, does such an add-on for iTunes exist, to allow me to browse cover art?

itunes5smallalbums.jpg

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
That screenshot is fake (Notice the "Burn Disc" which isn't present in iTunes when the library is selected. Not to say it COULDN'T be in iTunes 5, but it gives a compelling reason to believe that this is fake), and I know of no such plugin.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
stoid said:
That is an obvious PhotoShop job. If you'll notice the repeated nature of the brushed metal at the bottom of the window... artifact of the PhotoShop clone brush.

That too. lol I gave a quick glance to look and see if the brushed metal had evidence of clonestamping, but it looks like i didn't look closely enough because you're definitely right.

FYA

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
Burn Disc ?

The button next to the search field should be "Browse" not "Burn Disc"

Or is it possible to get the "Burn Disc" option when in the "library" ?

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
Yeah, that's a pretty hack photoshop job. Seems like it would have been easier to open up Interface Builder to draw out a template window.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Its photoshop because if Apple was to incorporate that feature they would make it look nicer... like w/ a white bar on the bottom (like the autofill buttons for ipod shuffle)...

But it could be in a new version

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I do wish iTunes could do more with the album art. Some of the ideas that first come to my mind are admittedly on the tacky/useless side. One idea is once the songs(s) are playing, the album art fills the library window. Of course, much like a screen saver, on mouse activity the art fades out so you can see the library again. Simple, yes? I don't need/like the visualizations (distracting and power hogging) and prefer to simply see the album art in large frame Plus, with the art up over the library during playback, it would look (to me) slick and simple.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Sedulous said:
I do wish iTunes could do more with the album art. Some of the ideas that first come to my mind are admittedly on the tacky/useless side. One idea is once the songs(s) are playing, the album art fills the library window. Of course, much like a screen saver, on mouse activity the art fades out so you can see the library again. Simple, yes? I don't need/like the visualizations (distracting and power hogging) and prefer to simply see the album art in large frame Plus, with the art up over the library during playback, it would look (to me) slick and simple.
I don't have any album art, so such a feature would be entirely useless to me. I'd like to be able to configure the default iTunes visualizer much like what WhiteCap lets you do.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
wrldwzrd89 said:
I don't have any album art, so such a feature would be entirely useless to me. I'd like to be able to configure the default iTunes visualizer much like what WhiteCap lets you do.

Indeed, having no album art makes any art related features useless. However, you could add art if you wanted to. In many ways, the artwork helps ease the transition from traditional media to digital.

How an album art organizer such as the faked image at the top of this thread helps anyone, I don't really know. My album art iTunes idea isn't really useful either but, in place of the visualizer, it is kinda cool. How about a compromise: normally display album art in the library window. When artwork isn't available, a visualizer runs?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Sedulous said:
Indeed, having no album art makes any art related features useless. However, you could add art if you wanted to. In many ways, the artwork helps ease the transition from traditional media to digital.

How an album art organizer such as the faked image at the top of this thread helps anyone, I don't really know. My album art iTunes idea isn't really useful either but, in place of the visualizer, it is kinda cool. How about a compromise: normally display album art in the library window. When artwork isn't available, a visualizer runs?
Good idea. Unfortunately, your suggestion of adding art doesn't work for me because my albums don't have any album art that I know of. Approximately 90% of my music collection (including stuff I have yet to convert and add to my library) originates from video games. The rest of it consists of converted music modules (music in oddball formats you will never find on a CD or at a music store like the iTMS). All of my music is also outside the jurisdiction of the RIAA and similar organizations in other countries.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
wrldwzrd89 said:
Good idea. Unfortunately, your suggestion of adding art doesn't work for me because my albums don't have any album art that I know of. Approximately 90% of my music collection (including stuff I have yet to convert and add to my library) originates from video games. The rest of it consists of converted music modules (music in oddball formats you will never find on a CD or at a music store like the iTMS). All of my music is also outside the jurisdiction of the RIAA and similar organizations in other countries.

Well, videogames also had box art. I guess one could add that if so inclined. Or perhaps a couple screen shots of the game in action. Just a couple ideas.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I don't know where I saw it, but I remember seeing a visualizer for iTunes (or something that runs outside of iTunes) that would show a rotating CD Jewel Case while the song played. I will have to Google around to see if I can find it.

EDIT: Found it.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Yeah, thanks for the link. It is approximately what I was thinking of. Only my original suggestion called for something far more simplistic (just holding a static image/ cover art).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.