iTunes 50$ Gift card from Apple Scam

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by David-fr, Dec 25, 2010.

1. David-fr, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2010

David-fr macrumors 6502

Hello all,

Just want to give you guys a heads up of what appears to be a scam.

If you get an email like this:[​IMG]

Do not follow the link and put your iPhone IMEI and Serial number, neither your apple log in info.

The URL where that email takes you is: http://plastikk.com.au/tmp/index.html

The site looks LEGIT but the URL looks fishy, once you filled your info it will take you to apple store online.

I did followed everything and put my info, when i saw something was off i changed my password. But now thos sons of B^@& have my serial number, IMEI and my email accounts. :S

Be carefull.

2. JASApplications macrumors 65816

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If this is valid it should be a sticky and on the front page. Thanks for the heads up.

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Dude, if you gave up your AppleId password to a page with a non-Apple, foreign URL, you really need to read up on what a phishing scam is and learn some internet common sense.

5. Applejuiced, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There's tons of email scams like that asking your for your itunes password, paypal, bank info etc...
    Just by looking at where the url is redirecting you to one with a little common sense could figure it out.
    Plastikk.com.au?
    Sure that sounds like the real Apple site, let me put in my password:D

6. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

I know shame on me, it even sucks more because I work a for a MMORPG company and when we get a contact us form of a guy that got his account compromised bacause he gave away his info to a gold spammer in a fishy site, i say what a dummy. Now i'm the dummy.

But you all have to admit, the email looks legit -.-

BTW look where the email came from Support@apple.com. Thats when i thought it was a real gift.

7. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

that's the point of a phishing scam. It's supposed to look legit. They also spoof sender email addresses. Like I said, you need to read up on what phishing is.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It was spoofed/disguised to appear that it came from Apple but in reality it didnt.
    And obviously scammers will copy Apples logos and appearance to make it look legit.

9. Surely Guest

Surely

10. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

The whole thing just looks tragic. I'm sorry, but you mustn't be very internet savvy, as I could point out several mistakes from just a quick glance at the email;

• The email address is obviously spoofed
    • The photo at the right bears no resemblence to what it's offering. The case program, really?
    • 'Apple iTunes' do not send emails
    • iphone4
    • Why is there no explanation of what the gift card is for?
    • The email does not address you by name. Why not, if they have your details?

All in all, it's just a really shoddy attempt, and I don't mean to be rude, but you should be ashamed you fell for that. :eek:

11. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok all i got it, im a noob(not really).

But someone may fall for this since is xmas many companies send gifts (we did) So i came here to give that someone a heads up not to be told what i did was wrong which i know by now.

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am surprised some are giving the OP such a hard time
    He realizes he fell for a phishing scam, why point out the obvious?

Instead of hiding it, he has come here to warn others and turn his situation into a positive for you
    Instead of saying "thanks for the heads up", some are bashing him
    :shakes head:

Thanks OP, hopefully you will help some other unsuspecting person

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you that it sucks bro, but there's tons of emails with scams like that every day beeing sent to millions of email accounts.
    And the phishing is beeing changed every single day so the spammers stay ahead. Hope people notice and learn from your mistake and are aware of scams like that in general.

14. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Yeah, just another fishing scam.

I'm using fastmail and one of the things it does is alert you when there is a link posted and the actual link address doesn't match, then shows you the URL. Makes it super obvious to pick up on fishing that way.

Wonder if other accounts have this too?

My only wish is if from there it had a direct launch LOIC button and feed it that address. Could actually help other people out that way.

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

sorry you got fooled by this ... at least you are passing on the information to help others :cool:

16. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll contact Apple to try to get a different phone, i dont like that they have my IMEI and my Seria Number.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

Hmmm....post back and let us know if they will actually give you a new phone due to this. I'd be surprised if they do, but it doesn't hurt to try.

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Thanks for sharing, David-fr. I forwarded the info you provided to Apple's legal team. :)

If anyone falls victim to an internet crime, be sure you report it to the authorities, here: http://www.ic3.gov

19. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

I get emails like this every six months or so.

20. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Oh crap, I just bought 10 of these. I saw the plastikk URL and was like SIGN ME UP!

21. JASApplications macrumors 65816

hehe! :D

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Attached Files:

23. WilliamG macrumors 604

Falling for this obvious scam was stupid, as others have said, but even with your serial and imei, I'm not sure what they can do. If they had your UDID, that would be problematic, but they don't. I wouldn't worry about it.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Thanks for the reminder that there are some total scumbags out there.

25. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

Has this been reported to Apple? They are actually using Apple's Logo and Copyright information at the bottom of the footer!