iTunes 64-bit 10.1.2 keeps crashing in Windows 7!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by GekiRed, Feb 9, 2011.

1. GekiRed macrumors regular

Ever since I updated the firmware to 4.2 on my iPod Touch 4G and jailbroke it, my 64-bit version of iTunes on Windows 7 has kept crashing on me every time I try to download podcasts or Apps and I'm puzzled as to why it happens even though I've just redownloaded iTunes and tried to fix the installed version.

Any (non-snarky) advice as to why I'm having this problem would be appreciated for myself as well as anybody else who may be having the same problem or something similar.

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Does it crash downloading to the iPod or downloading from the Internet?

If the former, try wiping the iPod. If the latter...

Total speculation but I'm guessing that the jailbreaking app either did some damage to the 64-bit install (I know there were very specific details about which versions could jailbreak in the past, but I haven't kept up with it), possibly registry keys. Depending on how long ago, you could try a System Restore Point (dicey) or uninstalling, backing up the relevant parts of the registry and removing the whole Apple tree from HKLM/Software and HKCU/Software.

If you do this, uninstall ALL Apple software (QuickTime, Safari, MobileMe... anything) before you go slicing up the registry or get used to mashing F8 to boot.

3. GekiRed thread starter macrumors regular

I used the latest version of greenpois0n to jailbreak my upgrade to 4.2 like I had done when I had first JBed my iPod Touch 4G in December and I had to use redsn0w later on as the Cydia icon wouldn't appear PLUS the setup I had created with all the apps had been replaced with one where most of the apps weren't in the folders I had placed them in previously.

As a result, I had to reinstall InfiniFolders and various other Cydia apps even though I had made a backup before doing a new jailbreak.

Almost forgot, iTunes crashes when I'm downloading from the internet.

Are there any indepth guides on how I should edit the registry in iTunes to fix this problem or is there anything else I should do as I want to keep my jailbreak instead of having to return to a non-jailbroken state to fix the problem.

4. GekiRed, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

GekiRed thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE: It seems to be crashing every time the pop-up login screen for my RussianPod101 account appears.

It also crashes whenever I'm trying to download updates to my Apps, if not basically anything involving iTunes! :mad:

If anybody has any further advice on what I should do, I'd love to hear it as it's really pissing me off that I can't do any downloads and I don't want to get rid of my jailbreak.