iTunes 64-bit for all platforms.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AnonMac50, Jul 20, 2011.

1. AnonMac50, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Hi, in the process of finding a solution for Front Row and iTunes 10.4, I started digging in the iTunes app itself, without installing it (using Pacifist to extract it). This should allow 64-bit iTunes on G5, Core 2 *, Core i*, and Xeon CPUs (seeing as they are 64-bit and allow you to run iTunes 10.4 on Leopard. I have not tested this yet. The zip file I included has a new Info.plist and a backup of the original incase something goes wrong. Install the new Info.plist in (wherever your iTunes app is)/Contents. It might be best if iTunes was in /Applications.

Please test this and tell me how it goes.

EDIT: I have tested this, and can say that it is not fully there, but getting there. I am working on it. Any external help is appreciated, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In case anyone is wondering, the zip file contains two plist files that barely differ.

B

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

4. AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816

I simply modified the plists to change from the first picture, to the second picture. This means that the minimum requirements for 64-bit is 10.5, and can be used on Leopard on both 64-bit Intel and 64-bit PPC machines. That's all.

Attached Files:

5. BlueHedgehog, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

BlueHedgehog macrumors member

I'm guessing I should do this hack AFTER installing iTunes 10.4 (from S/W Update). I'll test it and will see how it goes.

EDIT: A quick question, does this work on Snow Leopard (I have another installation, 10.6.8) ?

6. Hieiwing macrumors newbie

7. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I tried it and it didn't work. :confused: Activity monitor still says "Intel".

Not that big of a problem though, it's not as if it caused performance problems.

8. AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816

It's supposed to, at least, I think. Also for Leopard.

Your welcome.

Hmm, thanks anyway.

9. BlueHedgehog, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

BlueHedgehog macrumors member

"Intel" on Snow Leopard

Tried the plist on my 2011 iMac, but iTunes still doesn't run as a 64-bit app.

However, the iTunesHelper process says "Intel (64-bit)" as shown in the pic here. (Can't remember if it was like that prior to iTunes 10.4)

Note: The result is the same before and after the plist edit.

What version of Mac OS X were you running? (I couldn't get the plist to work)

Attached Files:

10. BlueHedgehog macrumors member

Still doesn't work on Snow Leopard...

OK, so I decided to do an "Archive and Install" of Snow Leopard using the install disc that came with my iMac (all files, settings, programs, etc. left intact) and am now running 10.6.7 (will update to 10.6.8 later).

When I decided to run iTunes (10.4), now I get this: (1st attachment)

What's wierd is that the "iTunes" and "iTunesHelper" processes both say "Intel (64-bit)", so why can't it run in 64-bit?? (see 2nd attachment)

Attached Files:

11. AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816

I was working on this the past 2 days, and as far as I can tell, it's probably just Apple's way of asking you to get Lion. However, if you fool the computer to think it is on Lion, it will launch, with a mix of Lion and Snow Leopard GUI elements. I am still working on it.

PS. does Front Row work on Snow Leopard for you?

12. BlueHedgehog macrumors member