iTunes 7.3 (PC) M-Audio Firewire 410 playback distortion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by artandtheory, Aug 20, 2007.

1. artandtheory macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I am having clipping and popping noises begin 10 seconds into each track. They go away shortly (a few seconds later), although sometimes they come back later and even lead to a totally distorted sound.

This is on Windows XP sp2.

this must be a M-audio/Itunes issue because
    -the same files playback w/o problems using other software
    -Itunes plays them w/o problems if I go through my integrated audio card

Here are software options that I have double-checked:

-Firewire 410
    reinstalled Maudio drivers
    tried different Maudio buffers (currently on the largest)

-Itunes
    streaming buffer size set to large (I don't even know if this relates)

-Quicktime
    selected safemode for audio playback

Some other info:
    I remember having this problem a few years ago, when I first got this set up going. Unfortunately, I don't remember how I solved it! My best recollection is that it went away on its own.

Also, not too long (a few weeks? perhaps even a few days..) before these problems began, I had to reinstall the m-audio drivers because of annoying firewire problems when I tried to hook up a new camcorder (I hotswapped them, which bugs out the 410).

Any help would be much appreciated,
    Adam

2. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

hhmmmm....can't say that I have this issue with the OS at work or even with the system I had at home (PC/XP).

3. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

hhmmmm....can't say that I have this issue with the OS (PC/XP) at work or even with the system I had at home (PC/XP).
    Your problem MIGHT be the firewire but then again I could be wrong. When reintalled the m-audio did you get the clipping popping sounds that you mentioned?!

4. artandtheory thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it is quite frustrating because you buy semi-pro gear for a better sound experience and end up dealing with more technical annoyances.

Stability on semi-pro audio setups always seems to be an issue. You have to have a carefully restricted/controlled platform (which I don't) to do it right. Otherwise something always comes up.

5. artandtheory thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, exactly as before. I mean, they start almost always at the same point in time.

6. Nepenthe macrumors member

Have you switched between analog/digital output. And does it happen at all sample rates/bit depths (of the IO, not the source files)?

7. artandtheory thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have the cables for digital output.

on the second... hmm, I am not sure how to test that. The M-Audio driver indicates 44100hz "sample rate detected", but you cannot adjust that. All I can adjust is the buffer size, sync source, and enable/disable asio direct monitoring (enabled). I should mention that I definitely have non-pro audio experience/knowledge. (Edit: that last sentence is not clear at all! I meant, I do NOT have strong pro audio knowledge/experience)