iTunes 7.5 and jailbreak (1.1.2) ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by styylus, Nov 24, 2007.

1. styylus macrumors newbie

is it generally recommended to stick with iTunes 7.4.x when in use with a jailbroken iPod Touch? I've completed the 1.1.2 jailbreak on my touch, installed apps, and everything is gravy, but I've noticed that adding music files in iTunes 7.5 is rather sluggish...hangs on syncing and "determining gapless playback" for longer than normal; not sure if this is just a general issue with 7.5, or a result of working with a jailbroken touch w/ 7.5;

with all the reading/research I've done on the subject, I have not found a clear answer as to whether it's "safe" or not to use iTunes 7.5 with a jailbroken Touch, so any insights, suggestions are highly appreciated.

2. styylus thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, I feel like the digital equivalent of a leper on this board; is there anyone who can answer this simple question?

3. hecks macrumors regular

Well, look at it this way: if it *wasn't* safe, don't you think this board would be full of posts complaining about it?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ummm this board is full of posts complaining about it. Search for the term "bricked" and you'll find out. ;)

To the OP. It is a gamble but if you really feel you need to do it because you're limited by the device itself then it has to be a gamble you are willing to take. Visually, it appears that there are more success stories on this board and on the net as a whole than there are horror stories if that counts for anything.

5. hecks macrumors regular

The question was about whether it was safe to update iTunes to 7.5 and jailbreak 1.1.2. He has his answer about that. Maybe you didn't notice that he's *already* jailbreaked.

"Bricking" is not possible with the iPod Touch. Those who bandy the term around are just describing user error.

6. styylus thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for your responses; and yes, my question concerns the impact of upgrading iTunes, not that of the jailbreak process itself;

so, in conclusion, I'll ask again: is it preferred, based on users' experience to stick with iTunes 7.4.x, or is 7.5 supposed to act just as "nicely" with a jailbroken touch?

THANKS.

7. hecks macrumors regular

I can only make my point again: since there have been no widespread reports of problems - as you confirmed with your research - and nobody is jumping in here with previously-unknown ones, what else is there to do but assume that there aren't any with 7.5? What answer would satisfy you?

Perhaps a poll might be helpful here?