iTunes 7.5 memory usage issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by evanrousso, Nov 7, 2007.

1. evanrousso macrumors 6502

I don't know if everyone else has this problem but iTunes 7.5 is KILLING my system memory and cpu usage. I have my iStat Pro indicators on my menu bar and every time iTunes is open everything spikes up. iTunes is literally hogging my whole system. That program has always been a memory hog but this is just unacceptable. I realize this is a new update and is prone to bugs but you think by 7.5 they would have figured out how to make a fairly simple media player not be so memory intensive. I am sorry but this is really starting to frustrate me.

I have an intel iMac with 2ghz C2D processor with 2gb of RAM running 10.5, my computer should blaze, but with iTunes being a heavily used program on my system i find it hard to do much else.

Is anybody else having this problem, does anyone know how to fix it?

/rant

2. vandlism macrumors 6502

iTunes takes up 850mb of memory when I run it on its own. I love it. I can scroll through all of my album art blazingly fast with nothing to slow it down. My 2gb of memory are there to be used, and what better use than caching all of the album art. If my computer needs the memory for something else, it takes it from iTunes. No problems.