iTunes 7.5... resource hog?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Snowy_River, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Hello,

Okay, so I have a PBG4, I'm running Leopard and iT 7.5. I use Menu Meters, so I'm regularly aware of my processor usage. Before Leopard or iT 7.5, when iT was idle (i.e. just sitting there, not playing anything, etc.) I would see my overall processor usage drop to a few percent. Checking Activity Monitor, iT would usually be in the 0%-2% usage category. Now, however, so long as iT is running I never see my processor usage drop down like that. Checking Activity Monitor, I find that even when iT is idle, it's still registering about 20% CPU usage. Used to be that I'd be hard pressed to get it to use 20%, regardless, except when accessing the iTS.

So, does anyone have any ideas what iT is doing, and how to get it to stop?

Thanks!!

2. Snowy_River thread starter macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Well, either no one has any clue about this, or everyone is just too busy trading rumors about the new MacBook Air. So, I'll wait until after the keynote and try again...

3. coryetzkorn macrumors regular

coryetzkorn

Yeah... I think everyone is getting caught up in the Macworld madness. I certainly am, but there hasn't been any new news for several hours. :rolleyes:

I read a similar post like yours and there was a solution. Try turning off "live updating" for all smart playlists. That tends to hog valuable processor power. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you could do. Upgrade to the new ultra-portable maybe?

4. Snowy_River thread starter macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Well, that was a good suggestion, but it didn't do the trick. I tried turning off all the various options that I could find, but still seeing the excessive processor usage.

So, hopefully now people will start to get settled down from the MWSF, and maybe I'll get some more suggestions.

As for upgrading, I'm waiting for the new MBP update. :D