Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Just found this while I was home over my lunch break... It appears that Apple finally added the ability to sync 'x least recent watched shows'. This means that you can now watch TV shows in their proper order, from oldest to newest, without resorting to crazy playlists or doing it manually. This has always been a big annoyance for me, and I'm glad they finally got around to adding this.

Metallinut

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
Just found this while I was home over my lunch break... It appears that Apple finally added the ability to sync 'x least recent watched shows'. This means that you can now watch TV shows in their proper order, from oldest to newest, without resorting to crazy playlists or doing it manually. This has always been a big annoyance for me, and I'm glad they finally got around to adding this.

Yeah, I was excited for this too...But it doesn't work right! I ripped some of my own TV shows to watch on my iPod...I filled in everything I could think of for Get Info. Episode # = Track Number, Season # = Disc Number...that's on top of adding all the correct info to the Video tab. And still, iTunes does not sync the correct episodes to the iPod.

What is iTunes looking at, when it syncs, say, the 5 least recent episodes of a show? I wish it would sort them by Episode ID when syncing, but it apparently does not...

I hope they fix it soon!

Metallinut

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
Well I found out that if I meticulously re-add all my TV show episodes correctly, it works. So for example, here's what I had to do, to get it to sync properly. I'm using South Park season 1 as an example.

Originally, I ripped my Season 1 DVDs to individual episodes. Then I added them ALL AT THE SAME TIME into iTunes. As a result, all the files had the same "Date Added" attribute, which is what I believe iTunes uses to sync the least recent episodes. So it was a crapshoot, as to which of the 13 season 1 episodes would be counted as the 5 least recent ones.

So I removed all 13 episodes from my library (DO NOT DELETE THE FILES). Then, one at a time, at one minute intervals, I added them back into my library. Now the Date Added attributes are offset by a minute each, and it syncs correctly. This would work fine, I guess for Podcasts and TV shows you import on a weekly basis (current run of a show). But to add an entire season at once takes at least 1 minute per episode! And God help you if you skip one, and want to add it later. I don't care if it's the 3rd episode, if you add it the day after adding 1, 2 & 4-13, episode 3 will be considered the most recent.

Let's go Apple...let's get a fix going here quick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.