iTunes 7.6 Hangs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Markleshark, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I've never had a problem with any of the previous versions of iTunes, but since 7.6 I get a lot of hangs and beachballs. Anyone else experiencing this?

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Not experienced anything like that yet, and the other day I was playing music all day... have you tried the usual repairs ;)

3. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

No, I was waiting to see if it was an iTunes problem first.

On with those I guess. :rolleyes:

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

It's been half an hour, has it crashed again or are things running a bit more smoothly now ?

5. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

It wasn't actually crashing, just hanging for a few seconds. But I repaired permissions and it seems fine so far. If I get any more problems I'll download it again.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yup… quite a few spinning rainbow balls with iTunes 7.6.

In my experience it seems as if it has to do with iPhone.
    If I start up iTunes and my iPhone is not in its cradle and connected I get the spinning ball. When I connect the iPhone it sometimes crashes and a dialogue box pops up something about sending an "iPhone crash report" to Apple.

It is not a consistent problem — but annoying none the less. :rolleyes:

7. bartelby macrumors Core

7.6 is slow for me too. I did put that down to accessing the drive across my network. But thinking about it 7.5 was fine...

8. Data macrumors 6502

Hanging on start up all the time.

Hi there, since the iTunes7.6/QT update i have the same problem with itunes.

At first it looks like it starts up faster then 7.5 but then it just hangs beachballing, in the force quite menu it even says itunes is not responding.

I noticed that if i start itunes up and then leave the mac alone for a couple of minutes the processors ( or at least one of them ) will go to 100%, then after like , say 5 minutes , the processors go back to normal as will itunes, and from there on it seems to work fine again.

I did repair permisions , i ran diskwarior, did not make any difference.

I have this problem on a macbook running 10.5.1 ( 2 gig ram )with itunes 7.6
    aswell as on my Power mac G5 dual 2,7 with 2,5 gig ram, running 10.4.11 .

Thats why i think the problem is not in the OS but in iTunes or Quicktime .

Also i noticed that the 2 other people i spoke that have the same problem have 60.000 plus library's , so i would not be surprised if that is part of the problem aswell.

I hope there will be a fix soon, because i use itunes when djing and as it stands i dont feel secure using it at all.

I already send the complaint to apple aswell on the feedback page, if all the people who have the rpoblem do the same maybe they will fix it faster ;-).

9. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

i'm having alot of beachballs, probably just because i need to upgrade my ram... :p

10. Data macrumors 6502

Thank you for sharing this important information with us, and with that info contributing to a solution to the problem we have,jesus.

11. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

... Slightly uncalled for...

12. Data macrumors 6502

Ok maybe your right , and i was over reacting a bit , my apolligies, it was a frustrating day with this problem today for me.

Sorry.

13. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

I'm not the only person replying to threads without a solution..??

14. Data macrumors 6502

i Know i'm sorry again, im a bit pissed off about this problem and i should not have reacted like that.

15. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I'd been consistently experiencing a couple problems with iTunes 7.6, both of which were resolved by trashing all my iTunes preferences (not that I should have had to do that):

- At every startup, I'd get the prompt asking me whether to allow incoming connections to iTunes.

- When I quit iTunes, the window would still hang around for a long time (> 30 seconds) unless/until I switched to another application, at which point the iTunes window would disappear.

16. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I've actually been seeing this issue more with QT than itunes. Beachballing five or six times in an hour video
    Not really in iTunes, altho I'm still getting the "stops the song by itself" more than ever. Usually just needs me to push play again to get it rolling (eg. no freezes, hangs, etc)

17. Illicit macrumors 6502

after going through several "fixes", i've noticed:
    - ram is not an issue (i have 4GB, and use only 2GB usually)
    - permissions is not an issue
    - song list size is not an issue. it beachballs whether i have 5000 songs or 100.
    - it is a problem with itunes 7.6 ONLY (reverting to 7.5 removes this problem and rental movie support (oh no!).

i recommend switching back to 7.5 until 7.7 comes out.

18. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I've stopped upgrading iTunes on my Macbook. I realized I was upgrading without reason; there's nothing I do in iTunes that wasn't already implemented years ago. I think I'm going to stick with 7.5 from now on. I might even downgrade to an earlier version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_version_history

These are the changes from version to version; I don't see the point of upgrading each time Apple releases a newer version unless I have a *need* for said version. Each one just seems to get bigger and add features for things like iPhones and newer iPods, etc.

19. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Since I repaired permissions I get these hangs a lot less. I still get them now and again though, quite annoying since it's always been flawless for me.

20. ps6 macrumors newbie

About 5 minutes of beachball every start!

I'm running OS 10.4.11. No problems with iTunes 7.5.

Since I installed 7.6, I have about 5 minutes (no not 1 minute that feels like 5 minutes) of beachball everytime I start iTunes. It seems to be searching for something? I have also noticed that the song clock stops working after downloading Podcasts.

I have a large music and movie library, but it worked fine under 7.5. I also have an iPhone.

21. Nothingness macrumors newbie

solved partly

t had it from the moment i updated just yesterday.
    I also read on an apple page one of the reasons could be a wrong format or large movie file.

So i deleted All the movieClips inside my library and no more rainbows.
    All very smooth and fast now.

But for those who wanna keep them files this is still no sollution.

So maybe move the files to a folder and wait for a next update ;-)

cheers

22. ps6 macrumors newbie

Dumped Movie Files - Still Beachball Heaven

I dumped my movies files as suggested.

Nothing!, but my beachball.

I started iTunes and waited more than a minute. Then I opened Mail and came to this site. Then I logged-in and wrote this message. The beachball is still rolling along. More than 5 minutes after opening iTunes.

23. Nothingness macrumors newbie

Damn,

it worked for me but it might even be that you have a type of music file that makes itunes hang. Apple also held this as a possibility but i found it a huge pain to even try that.

I'm not suggesting to get rid of some music files, but what about very large music files? If you have then, maybe try and move them to a secure folder and delete them from the library. You never know. A wrong format is very unlikely cause itunes would not accept it then.

cheers

24. rev316 macrumors regular