Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

westernmass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Western Mass.
Okay I am using PC with XP and downloaded 7.7 form Apple then went to sync first time. Took a long time but I said to myself no problem first run. I added date in Outlook and hit sync again and took 10 minutes and I aborted the sync. I rebooted machine and tried to sync again checked the phone everything still there and rebooted it as well. It is going on 25 minutes and it just got to Calendars and still going. Anyone else having this issue.

westernmass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Western Mass.
I did it took 34 minutes. BUt it should by no means take that long every time. I just disconnected reconnected to sync again. Same result, hit sync and get backing up done in a few seconds then back to sync contacts and seems again going to run another 34 minutes. That is obviously not right. I can't believ just me. I may reinstall itunes and see if it helps.

SeaPea

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
I did it took 34 minutes. BUt it should by no means take that long every time. I just disconnected reconnected to sync again. Same result, hit sync and get backing up done in a few seconds then back to sync contacts and seems again going to run another 34 minutes. That is obviously not right. I can't believ just me. I may reinstall itunes and see if it helps.

Me too. I have tried 6 times, each time 30 minutes for my Win XP, Office 2007 Outlook, 1600 contacts and numerous calendar items.

this is not right!

Anybody out there having this problem?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Me too. I have tried 6 times, each time 30 minutes for my Win XP, Office 2007 Outlook, 1600 contacts and numerous calendar items.

this is not right!

Anybody out there having this problem?
Yup. Twenty minutes to sync less than 800MB of apps. That's all I've got loaded on there ATM - no music, videos, anything. This is kind of ridiculous.

OS X 10.5.4 + iTunes 7.7 + iPhone 3G

josielinnea

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2007
Stockholm
Are you using a USB-port that isn't 2.0?

If you don't know if it is, try another USB-port, preferably on the back of your PC.

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
Mine was stuck syncing "Calendar" for a while too, so I canceled it and just restarted, now syncing all my music and stuff for the first time. We'll see what happens...

EDIT: Seems to have gone smoothly on the second attempt.

Coram Nobis

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Synch: 2+ hours (iTunes 7.7 & 1.1.4)

This is crazy. I've reinstalled iTunes, twice, all to no avail. PC running Vista. Takes forever with contacts (of which the iPhone wanted to "modify" 35), and my calendar. Not sure what to do at this point.

Anyone have any ideas WTH IS going on? I really hesitate to do anything 2.0 at this point, but am wondering whether 7.7 needs 2.0 to work more smoothly.

falsecathedrals

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
i upgraded my 1st gen iphone to 2.0 earlier today, went through the whole not connecting to the itunes store and eventually got 2.0 working. but then when it went to sync it spent about 45 minutes syncing and didnt transfer any of my music. now when i plug the iphone back in i get the same error 4 and it wont try to sync again.

can anyone bring up the normal managing iphone screen in itunes 7.7?

josielinnea

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2007
Stockholm
Okay I am using PC with XP and downloaded 7.7 form Apple then went to sync first time. Took a long time but I said to myself no problem first run. I added date in Outlook and hit sync again and took 10 minutes and I aborted the sync. I rebooted machine and tried to sync again checked the phone everything still there and rebooted it as well. It is going on 25 minutes and it just got to Calendars and still going. Anyone else having this issue.

It's a 2007 iMac. They're all 2.0 ... ;)

He said he's using a PC, NOT a mac.
So what's your point?

Ahiqar

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
Fox Cities, WI
This is crazy. I've reinstalled iTunes, twice, all to no avail. PC running Vista. Takes forever with contacts (of which the iPhone wanted to "modify" 35), and my calendar. Not sure what to do at this point.

Anyone have any ideas WTH IS going on? I really hesitate to do anything 2.0 at this point, but am wondering whether 7.7 needs 2.0 to work more smoothly.

I'm in the same boat, except iTunes wants to modify 165 contacts. I just cancelled the sync. Not sure what to do. I am on XP.

Coram Nobis

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Continued Sync Problems

So I finally pulled the trigger, and upgraded to 2.0 to see if that would solve anything (official release via iTunes 7.7). Thankfully, it upgraded & activated without a hitch (actually there was an error upon restoring the phone, but I clicked retry and then it was fine).

That said, still can't sync without a 2 hour wait. My phone is not a toy, I use it for work. This is beyond frustrating.

Cudadown

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
I am wondering if you might have some sort of "check internet for album artwork" type thing going on. Also, you might try a defrag on your PC. Maybe the data is scattered around your HD.

Coram Nobis

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
appreciate your thoughts. this all began post iTunes 7.7, however. never had any problem, before, so I tend to think neither of your suggestions is at fault. this is an apple screw up.

westernmass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Western Mass.
Okay, still not fixed. I have reinstalled itunes, installed 2.0 to the phone, defragged the pc and it takes no lie 34 minutes to sync. The back up part takes a good 10 minutes and contacts and calander forever!!!:confused::eek::mad::mad: Now I am seeing that not only is it taking forever but the calander events are not syncing at all. I added stuff via the pc and then via the phone and after the sync nothing was transfered either way. Folks with gen1 phone with 2.0 and itunes 7.7 how long is it taking you to sync? I have about 400 contacts and not sure on the calander entries. I can not think that a 34 minutes is acceptable. It used to take no more the 3 minutes and I was on the go. I guess I should be happy with 34 since adding one or two things could push it to an hour. Someone else has to be having this problem or know a solution.

STC

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Yeah I upgraded my wife's iPhone to 2.0 and we got the 30+ min backup and sync. Very annoying.

westernmass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Western Mass.
I can say this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/521263/ answer #7
ConnectIT said this:
I followed the instructions in this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1692
Here are the specific steps that I followed:

Open iTunes.
From the Edit menu, choose Preferences.
Click the Syncing tab.
Click the Reset Sync History button.

If the issue continues and you know all of the data is on the iPhone or iPod touch:

Reset the Sync History again using the steps above.
Remove all of the contact and calendar information from Outlook. (I actually moved all of my contacts and appointments to another .pst folder, just to be on the safe side.)
Select the device in iTunes and click the Info tab.
Scroll down to the Advanced section and under "Replace information on this iPhone/iPod" make sure Contacts and Calendars are not selected.
Click Apply.

For Outlook 2007, follow these steps to disable third-party add-ins:

Open Outlook 2007
From the Tools menu, choose Trust Center.
Select Add-ins from the left column.
Look at the list of add-ins beneath "Active Application Add-Ins" and determine if anything is listed other than the "iTunes Outlook add-in." If so, continue on to disable those add-ins.
In the Manage box, click COM Add-Ins, and then click Go.
In the COM Add-Ins dialog, deselect the checkbox for each third-party add-in in this list.
Click OK.

I deselected ALL of the addins except the "iTunes Outlook Addin".

I have now tested it by creating, deleting, and editing Calendar appointments on both the PC and the iPhone and everything seems to be working fine in the Day/Week/Month views!

This seemed to help with my itunes at home it only syncs Apps, music, video and photos. I just did the reset the history in itunes and the sync took about a minute maybe less. Or it seemed like a minute compared to yesturday and the one at work.

Woolander

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
iTunes 2.0 errors with Outlook

I have had the same issue since the upgrade to iTunes 7.7 and iPhone 2.0 on a Windows XP.

The error that always appears "iTunes was unable to load provider data from Sync Services. Reconnect or try later"

I installed iTunes on a different computer (without Outlook) and everything can sync (ie. media) but when use my computer with Outlook the iTunes continues to give that error. I invested about 10+ hours uninstalling/reinstalling, removing add-ins (as one of the posts state), etc., but to no real outcome. What I have determined is that it is definitely some bug, b/c if you plug/unplug the connector to the iPhone 1 out of 100 times you do NOT get the error and you have an option to sync with Outlook in the Info Tab.

Unfortunately, it takes about 3+ hours (not kidding) to complete, and it is a one-off. It doesn't work afterwards again. I am really suprised how bad this upgrade was from the time the servers went down and I had a brick for several hours to now this issue which I need to troubleshoot on my own. There is no help or patch...

Previous to the upgrade to either iPhone 2.0 or iTunes 7.7 never had this error with Outlook 2007 and it worked very well and fast.

westernmass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Western Mass.
MY ISSUE RESOLVED !!! but with a new twist.

Okay for the record I have been following along here http://discussions.apple.com/thread....630866#7630866 and https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/521263/
as we are not the only ones having the issue. I have to be honest I think a combination of what I found in that thread and this thread did the trick but honestly not sure exactly what but here is what I did and now I have another issue. First I did go and make sure Outlook 2007 was updated, in Outlook I hit check for updates and it did not show the update. But I followed Pwleunis's link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950219 and ran that update. I than went back into my Outlook 2007 calander and delete appointments from 2000-2007. I then went into iTunes and reset sync history. I hit sync and got this error "iTunes was unable to load provider data from sync services. Reconnect or try again later" I reconnect same thing. I hit sync it seemed to sync nothing as there was nothing showing selected to sync in the tabs. But after that "sync" all the tabs then showed my normal sync set up. This is at work so it is only calander & contacts. I then hit sync again and goes through no problem. Now I was worried about reentering all the reoccurring appointments and went back to Outlook and even though I was sure I deleted them they still appeared. Needless to say I double check by adding appointment in the phone then sync, it went to PC, I deleted in PC did a sync, it deleted from the phone. Tested the same but in the phone and all seems to be playing very nice together and the sync take about a minute as it used to. Now to figure out this other issue without breaking the fix. Again, bizarre as I actually still am showing all the appointments that I thought for sure I deleted.

Here is a tip if you are going to go back and delete the appointment in Outlook http://www.outlookpower.com/issues/i...001918001.html

I just tried it again this morning as I only did it once at the end of the day and again sure enough it seems to be working just fine the sync now takes about a minute or so give or take.

I hope this helps a little as I know it was driving me crazy!!!!!

As for my new error I am afraid to reinstall or do anything while it is working. I will live with the error for now as long as everything else is working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.