iTunes 7.7 to 7.5 to downgrade device

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Jayden0606, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

Well... I want to go from iTunes 7.7 to 7.5 to downgrade my device to 1.1.4. What I', running into is an error message after installing 7.5. When I uninstalled 7.7, I rebooted, then installed 7.5. The error message I get is "The file iTunes Library.itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes."

I wanted to delete this and reinstall, but I can't find it. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Help!

2. PACMAC macrumors regular

PACMAC

Before attempting to launch iTunes 7.5 for the first time you need to delete or rename the iTunes folder..

Windows:
    Rename the C:\Documents and Settings\**your user name**\My Documents\My Music\iTunes folder to iTunes Backup.

Mac OS X:
    Select the iTunes folder in your Music directory and rename it iTunes Backup. You press the Enter key to rename a file in Mac OS X.

:apple:

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its best if you rename those folders to anything OTHER than iTunes, that way 7.5 can create its own new iTunes folder which you can delete when you go back to 7.7 and use your old renamed folder again to be back where you started

If you delete the folder you lose all media/settings

4. Jayden0606 thread starter macrumors 6502

Excellent man. I will try that now. Quick response thanks.

5. Jayden0606 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did the above and now I'm being told I need 7.7 or later.... WoW!

Any suggestions?

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

To do what? are you using a mac and did make sure to rename the folder before ever launching iTunes 7.5. It seems 7.5 is still trying to use your 7.7 library instead of creating its own. My advice, quit iTunes move ALL iTunes folders in the music folder to another location (even trash/recycle bin temporarily but dont deletw) and then launch 7.5 again

7. Jayden0606 thread starter macrumors 6502

I apologize. I am using Vista on a PC. iTunes launches now. The issue is the error I get because of the 2.0 software that is on the iPhone (my assumption). Are any of the 2.0's supported? 2.0, 2.0.1, or 2.0.2 by iTunes 7.5?

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Nope. This is where you downgrade your phone to 1.1.4 by putting the phone in DFU mode, using shift+restore and then selecting the 1.1.4 firmware. NB this only works on on-3G iPhones

9. Jayden0606 thread starter macrumors 6502

What does NB mean?

Also It doesn't even show me the iPhone within 7.5 to do this. The error prevents the iPhone from being recognized.

Is the another way to downgrade aside from using iTunes?

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

NB means Note. Its not showing because you haven't put the phone in DFU mode

Use the following guides and follow them carefully.

Guide 1

Guide 2

11. Jayden0606 thread starter macrumors 6502

I cannot put it in DFU mode.

Below is a screen of what I get.
    [​IMG]

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

R u sure you entered DFU mode?...if you did then do as it says uninstall iTunes, reboot and then re-install 7.5 and try again or brave 2.0 firmware till tues. I'd like to help but the fact that you're running vista means some other things maybe happening in the background that i cant comment on (i use a mac)

13. Jayden0606 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't even get into DFU mode. When I install 7.7, I see that I am able to activate it through iTunes, but this is the part I want to bypass.

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Uninstall iTunes, reboot, remove ALL iTunes folders in your music folder, install iTunes 7.5, launch it (it wont want to recognise the phone), put the phone in DFU mode and then proceed from there.

If that doesn't work then i dunno what else to say

15. Jayden0606 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for helping. I guess I'm SoL. :(

It's almost like I will have to update/activate through iTunes, which I can't do as I don't have a spare sim or spare line (don't want to mess up the ugrade eligibility.)

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Im surprised it still didn't work for you. Have you read this sticky, maybe it'll give you some more info

17. Jayden0606 thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually found a video in which I see it step by step.

Honestly... thank you... whether it works or not, you've been a great help. I think I may have gotten it.

Great link for the video can be found here for everyone having issues like me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEuBX9uUyKE&NR=1

18. Jayden0606 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

It's good to go. The only problem I may have is the tmobile sim card I put into the iPhone is saying "no service" but I will look into that when I get home.

19. Jayden0606 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have two iPhone 2g devices that I downgraded to 1.1.4 on. My issue now is that both do not get service. I am able to connect to wifi though.

I put both my at&t sim and t-mobile sim and still no service. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be upgrading to 2.0 now?

20. Jayden0606 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a belief it has to do with unlocking the baseband. One of the iPhone's did not have 2.0 and this was the one that is now working after using BootNeuter. The second one in which I did d/l 2.0 and now back to 1.1.4 is the one that I can't use BootNeuter because I upgraded.

I am correct in this belief?

21. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah you need to have used Bootneuter before upgrading, if you didnt then here's and excerpt from Guide 2

22. Jayden0606 thread starter macrumors 6502

If I upgrade back to 2.0, do I need to use BootNeuter?

23. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

If you plan to downgrade anything/anytime then using Bootneuter would make it easier