iTunes 7.7

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by drmario, Jul 10, 2008.

1. drmario macrumors member

After installing iTunes 7.7, iTunes now freezes up and says 'not responding' in the windows task manager for about 2 minutes when I hook up my iPod touch. After about 2 minutes iTunes goes back to normal my iPod syncs and everything is fine. Is this a problem other people are having? Should I have un-installed iTunes 7.6 before I installed 7.7?
    EDIT
    Well I just saw in another thread (Don't flame me for not searching, the thread was about the 2.0 update not itunes 7.7) that other people are having the same problem. Hopefully Apple fixes this soon.

2. Yoshiki UK macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. Itunes 7.7 works fine until i connect my ipod touch to the USB port to sync, then it just freezes. I did get an error message on one try, something about not being able to do something with the sync service? I don't know what that means. This better get fixed quick, i didn't update just to ruin itunes and get stressed out. I'm really afraid of losing my library because then i will have to add all my cover art again! And if you rollback to the previous version it will erase the library. Also, you shouldn't really have to uninstall the previous version (i didn't), as it should automatically delete/overwrite when installing the new version.

3. drmario thread starter macrumors member

I don't think it will erase the library when if you go back to the previous version. The itunes program and the itunes library are kept in different parts of the computer. I have yet to get an error message when I connect my iPod. It un-freezes after its connected a few minutes though. Also if your worried about your music getting deleted why not just copy the folder and put it somewhere else on your computer? On windows iTunes music is in My Documents/My Music/iTunes.

4. Yoshiki UK macrumors newbie

Yeah, i've read around a bit and backed it up, it should be alright for now. This website has reported the problem http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20080710104108497. (I don't know if posting links is ok, i've just joined, read through the rules and didn't see anything.)
    I left my ipod connected for a few mins, now its synced up, we will se if it sorts itself out tommorrow.

5. redking31591 macrumors 6502

Smooth sailing here

I'm having no problems at all with itunes 7.7 and my iPod touch. it all works like clockwork for me.

6. Tim! macrumors newbie

Same here. I am running iTunes 7.7 and got my touch in there and it works fine. Although I have 1.1.3 firmware.

7. MARKO65 macrumors newbie

Aim

I downloaded AIM from the appsstore. but i don't see it on my ipod touch?

8. macfan881 macrumors 68020

you need 2.0 to run it

9. Squires macrumors regular

Squires

10. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Same problem here. iTunes freezes when loading if my iPod touch is plugged in. I get the spinning beach ball for a good minute or so. It loads instantly without the iPod touch plugged in. Looks like it's a common issue.

11. Hikescdnrckys macrumors newbie

No Applications under Library in iTunes 7.7

I don't have a problem with syncing but I did notice there is no Applications folder under Library - just the usual Music, Movies, TV Shows etc. Am I missing something?

12. drmario thread starter macrumors member

Apps showed up for me after I downloaded one.

13. Yoshiki UK macrumors newbie

Well, at least the ipod shows up eventually, after freezing itunes for around 2 mins. I liked it the way it was though :(

Anyway, i will leave it and check it tomorrow, if its as widespread as i'm noticing from reading messageboards etc, then apple may release a patch for 7.7 or something.

14. bmat macrumors 6502

Same for me, a long long beach ball stall and then my ipod touch shows up.

15. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

Same here... The responses to my other thread show that it is not just Touches , but also classics http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=515145 Also, if you read through the discussion on the Apple page that someone linked above, it seems that Apple knows about it, has the crash info, and will most likely release a patch soon...

Maybe iTunes and our iPods just want 2.0 as much as we do and are being fussy:D

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I've noticed that if I remove my iTunes Library, the iPod touch shows up instantly.

Edit: I fixed it somewhat! Right when I plugged my iPod touch in, I cancelled the sync by sliding the slider. This time the iPod touch would show up in iTunes instantly every time I plugged it in... the only problem was, now it didn't recognize my music on the iPod and showed 13.7GB of "Other" data. So, then I renamed "iTunes_Control" using iPhoneDrive (now MegaPhone) and my iPod pops right up instantly and I didn't even have to restore. I can still add music to it and everything. Now, I am in the process of restoring my old "iTunes_Control" folder after accidentally deleting it when I meant to delete the new one that iTunes created after I renamed my existing one... oops. So now I'm copying my backed up "iTunes_Control" and I hope that resets everything.

Fingers crossed!