iTunes 7 Problem

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
Sorry if this has been covered already, but I've used iTunes 7 before on my Mac, but just recently (over the past couple of days) it won't open due to "The iTunes application could not be opened. There is not enough memory available." It shows the "loading iTunes library" message and then tells gives me the memory message. Restarts/shutdowns do nothing. Anyone else having this problem?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Miami, FL
I have a completely separate issue, but an issue with iTunes nonetheless. I cant seem to global deauthorize. It's been removed from the options. :(

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
So just a quick followup: I fixed it. I just d/l'd iTunes again and reinstalled it and it works again. :confused:

rodolpheg

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2006
Hi !

I'm having the same problem than you Stridder44. Everything was working fine until yesterday, for no reason (apparently), I start getting the "not enough memory" message. While I have 500+ meg free...

Anyway, how to uninstall itunes 7? I haven't even been able to do it (I just put the app in the trash).

Also, did you lose your cover art or tags in the process?

Thanks for your help! ;)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
On a Mac you can uninstall iTunes without losing your songs or their accompanying data. Just drag iTunes to the Trash (as you did), along with iTunes.pkg (use Spotlight to find this one, it's in a folder named Receipts) and then redownload and reinstall it. :)

rodolpheg

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2006
Thanks Mad jew ! But same thing... These files are in the trash and itunes 7 installer still says the program is already installed :confused:

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Then downgrade to iTunes 6 (or whatever version you prefer) here

Or if you own a pc, here

rodolpheg said:
Thanks Mad jew ! But same thing... These files are in the trash and itunes 7 installer still says the program is already installed :confused:

If you owned a PC, the next step would be obvious. go into the C:\ drive, and find the itunes files and put em in the trash. (I think thats the ONE advantage windows has over Mac OS)

But, I only own an iMac G3 and earlier, so I wouldnt know what to do next. (Getting mac mini soon:) )

rodolpheg

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2006
I own a imac. I'll try downgrading to itunes6 tonight... hopefully my newer covers will stay there. cheers! :)

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Stridder44 said:
Sorry if this has been covered already, but I've used iTunes 7 before on my Mac, but just recently (over the past couple of days) it won't open due to "The iTunes application could not be opened. There is not enough memory available." It shows the "loading iTunes library" message and then tells gives me the memory message. Restarts/shutdowns do nothing. Anyone else having this problem?
I think someone already said this, but just reinstall iTunes 7. It's a pain in the ass that that's the solution, but iTunes 7 is such a memory hog. I really wish Apple would slim down the program...

Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Wait a minute...

Do you have a Mac with only ~500 MB free on your boot disk (the hard drive the system is running from)?
He's talking about the amount of memory he has left.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
How do you know that for sure...? I'm just asking to make sure...
Because he's talking about receiving the 'Out of Memory' warning from iTunes. He wouldn't even be able to be running the computer if he had that little space on the hard drive considering all the crap Mac OS X creates during use.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Warbrain said:
Because he's talking about receiving the 'Out of Memory' warning from iTunes. He wouldn't even be able to be running the computer if he had that little space on the hard drive considering all the crap Mac OS X creates during use.
Mac OS X will run, but very, very poorly, with amazingly little HD space left... and it should give you out of memory messages when it no longer finds room on the disk for virtual memory...